Chapter 19: "Well, It Would If You Were Smarter."

Start from the beginning

"Guess I missed the funeral." "How'd you know about that?", Luther asks carelessly. Five stares at him for a second, as if he can't believe he's talking to someone so dumb, before asking sarcastically "What part of the future do you not understand?" "Heart failure, huh?", Five continues. "Yeah." "No." Diego and Luther answer simultaneously. The boy clicks his tongue "Nice to see nothing's changed."

He makes a move as if to leave, but I stop him with a simple question "What about Y/N?" He stares at me and I can tell just the mere mentioning of her name is bringing up so many memories. He fights to keep the emotion from his voice as he replies lightly "What about Y/N?" "Why is she... you know, 16 again?" He answers in a monotone "I don't know. It could be because she came in contact with the portal." I shove him and frown "Well, you made the portal. Fix this sh¡t!" He looks at me, and I can see the inner battle he must be facing right now. It's hard for me to remember that he's not a small boy, he's a grown man.

He shrugs off my grip and walks away. "Uh, so that's it? That's all you're going to say?" With his head held high, he says "What else is there to say? The circle of life."

Suddenly, an earsplitting scream rocks the group.

Diego tosses one of his knives into the air "Looks like Y/N's woken up." I glance hurriedly at Five, only to see him teleport away. The next second, another shriek is audible. "And it looks like she's met Five," I mutter.

• ♧ • ♧ • ♧ • ♧ • ♧ •

Y/N

Ugh. Where am I? I look around me dazedly to be greeted with the four walls of Five's- my bedroom. My head feels as though a thousand tiny nails are being stabbed into it and I feel as if I could sleep for the next century. Rubbing away the grogginess, I try to recall what happened in the afternoon. Slowly, flashes of it come back to me, and I begin to piece together the afternoon's events. 

My favourite song. Dancing like there's no tomorrow. The sound of rumbling thunder. A rainbow shield. The blue portal. A faint outline of a man. Pushing my limits. Getting sucked into the portal for a split millisecond. Coming out woozy, yet still trying to protect my family. Something- no, someone falling out of the portal. My body aching and my head spinning as I fall to the floor in a dead faint. 

Realising I'm only dressed in my undergarments, I quickly wrap the blanket around my figure and pad over to the mirror to see if I have any bruises or scratches anywhere. When I look at my reflection, a 16-year-old version of me stares back. Screaming loudly, I punch the mirror until it shatters into a million irreparable fragments. That wasn't me. I'm thirty, flirty and thriving. There is no way I'm sixteen again. 

Suddenly, I hear the familiar crack of a spacial jump and I freeze on the spot. The person behind me sucks in a sharp breath as he gazes at the damage before saying "Wow, looks like you're getting 7 years of bad luck." Whipping my head around, I'm met with Five's piercing green eyes regarding me calmly. I scream again and punch Five. Whether for bad or for good, the boy dodges quickly before quipping "Is your first instinct to scream and punch something whenever it scares you always this strong?" 

I scrutinise the boy in front of me. He looks exactly as I remember, except with a sharper jawline with the slightest hint of stubble and longer raven black hair. As I examine his hair, an image of me running my hands through it suddenly pops into my mind and I blush hard. Five thinks I'm blushing at his remark and speedily says "It isn't that embarrassing, Y/N." I back up against the wall, blanket still clutched to my body. "No, this is not real Y/N. You are completely, 100% dreaming. You are not sixteen and Five is not back." I shut my eyes tight, repeating the sentences over and over again like a mantra in my head. When I reopen them and Five is still standing there, I burst into tears.