Chapter 3

A rosebush stood at the entrance of the garden. The white roses on it. There were gardeners briskly painting them red. They seemed to be worried.

"Excuse me, why do you look worried?" I asked them.

" We put a white rosebush here instead of a red one. If she finds out about the rosebush, she'll cut of our head. So, we're painting them red."

"Um, She?" I asked.

"The queen of Hearts." They said. Just then, we heard footsteps coming from behind the bush.

" The Queen!" One of the gardeners shrieked. Me and Piper jumped behind a different rosebush. The gardeners weren't so lucky. As the Queen of Hearts appeared, the gardeners froze in place. The Queen of Hearts had the reddest hair I've ever seen, like arial's, but I a lot darker, it was short and very frizzy. She a short little woman with a heart shaped crown and a puffy off-white dress with hearts around the ends.

"What are you doing!" the queen hollered. Her face was as red as the painted roses.

"I-I-I"

"I! I nothing!" She dragged her finger across one of the still wet with paint roses.

"OF WITH THERE HEAD'S!!" She screamed. Guards started to drag them away.

"No please! No! I'm not ready to die!" The gardener screamed until out of sight.

"What am I to do now." She sighed.

She walked over to the bush that we were hiding at.

" who are you?" she grabbed Me and Piper by the hand.

"I um,"I said. "My name is Mabel and this is my sister Piper."

"Do you know how to play croquet?" she asked me.

"Yes?" I said unsure what she was going to do.

"Well come on then!" she said brightly.

We walking through the beautiful garden. There were rosebushes at every corner and heart-shaped benches in between them.

"Take your places!" Her voice just like thunder. She scared me so much. Everyone in the garden scrambled around and started bumping into each other, but managed to get to their places. The course was very weird. The croquet balls were live hedgehogs, the mallets were live pink flamingos, and the soldiers (which were playing cards, all of which were hearts.) hade to double themselves up and had to stand on their hands and feet to make the arches.

Everyone was starting the game. They weren't taking turns and they were bumping into each other. Th queen was hollering, "Off with his head!" or "Of with her head!" I walked out of all the mess and leaned against a tree. I was watching the chaos that spilled across the garden when a cat tail was swinging a few inches in front of my face. I looked up and saw that the Cheshire Cat was laying on a branch an inch above me.

"So have you won at croquet yet?" the cat asked.

"No. It's mass chaos out there." I found my sister standing among the sea of heads. She was looking around, looking for me. She spotted me and ran as fast as she could towards me.

"How do you like the queen?" the Cheshire Cat asked Piper.

"She's scary." Piper said.

"She scares all." He smiled. I decided to join the group. I grabbed a flamingo and saw two hedgehogs fighting over who was going to get hit first. I swung and hit one and that one hit the other.

I started to get bored. I strode over to Piper and the Cheshire Cat.
"Come on Piper, we're leaving. These people are mad."
The Cheshire Cat said "we're all mad here!"
"Yeah, I can see that." I say.
" STOP! STOP RIGHT THERE!!" The queen said.
"What?" I said.
"You are going to play, or off with your head!"

I had no choice. I had to play, I thought of my mom. When I was in a comma, it was like she was a comma with me. What would happen to Piper. Sweet little Piper would have to find a way out by herself. Here it goes.