CHAPTER 22 : MOOSE'S AMBUSH

That's it! The 'Melting Cafe'! I exclaim to myself, almost jumping up and down when I see a little kid whose face is smeared with chocolate. His small eyes are shining as he eats the last bites of a chocolate bar, and I know mine are as bright now that I've got the perfect idea for Alex and I's second date

My smile grows wider and my heart skips a beat just thinking of Alex. I know our first date has been only yesterday, but I've already spent most of the night, and the morning until now, half dreamy and euphoric, replaying this previous exhilarating night, and half nervous, racking my brain to find the perfect date idea.

Now, I have it: a snack at the 'Melting Cafe', a cafe where they serve everything chocolate-flavored, and then go watch a movie. This will be a quieter, more typical date like Alex has wished, yet with a little sweet twist. I get butterflies in my stomach just thinking of this second date with Alex. 'Second date with Alex', each word sounds surreal and magical.

"Elena?! Are you here?!" My Mom's voice pulls me out of my daydreams.

"Yeah," I reply, trying to sound like I'm here, even if a big part of me is floating somewhere, and the heat on my cheeks probably gives it away.

"I was asking you if you wanted something to drink?" She shakes her head, her eyes twinkling, while I can't put down the wide smile on my face, an obvious mark of last night; luckily I've hidden the other obvious mark under a scarf.

"No, I'm fine." I breathe in the fall air scented with the smell of roasted chestnuts, feeling more than fine.

I've been gleeful since yesterday, and even my Dad's sneaky remarks can't bring down my stupid smile.

We're currently at the Fall fair of the town. The sun is shining, almost as bright as my mood. The kids are skipping around like my heartbeat when I think of last night, and like my thoughts, the streets are buzzing with busy vendors, strollers, and chatty walkers.

"And you Moose, how are you?"

The name 'Moose' leaving my Mom's lips rings like an alarm bell bringing me back to reality, and I'm fully there to watch his 'too nice' smile at my parents.

"I'm fine." His blue eyes slide to me as if he's just noticed me now, but something tells me he's already seen me. "Oh! And you Elena, are you alright?"

I swear I see a glint of mischief behind the fake concern in his eyes, and my stomach knots as a warning of what's to come.

Indeed, I don't have time to reply that Moose adds, "You know I'm really worried for you, Elena, since you're dating this gang leader."

My smile crumbles down like everything inside. No, he hasn't?! It's not possible...

But Moose generously makes sure to erase any hope I could have as he looks back at my parents. "You must be worried too!"

In one second, all my bright mood is blown away, stomped on. The heat burns my cheeks as inside I'm frozen.

I glance up to see my Dad's eyes spit anger, while my Mom's are wide with surprise and a shade of disappointment. I don't know which ones I dread the most.

"Oh! I'm sorry... Elena didn't tell you?" Moose gives us a sorry look, though I don't buy it.

"I'll go get a drink..." My survival instinct makes me escape, not ready to face my parents' wrath and to make a spectacle of myself in the middle of the fair and particularly, in front of Moose who, something tells me, would enjoy it too much.