CHAPTER 30 : ROSES

The song 'I want it that way' by the Backstreet Boys is back in this chapter, go listen to it while reading to set the romantic mood ;)

"So this is what girls do when they hang out?" Mitchie asks, biting in a cookie as I finish curling her long brown hair.

"I don't really know... I don't really hang out with friends outside of school, so..." I half-smile.

She shrugs. "I don't know either, all my friends are boys! I've always been a tomboy!"

"I've always been a nerd!" I laugh.

"Well, I'm glad to hang out with you! Boys are nice, but sometimes they can be really tiring!" she jokes, putting the last bite of her cookie in her mouth before standing up now that I've put the final touches to her hair.

"Yeah, but we can't live without them!" I shrug, giggling as my mind is already wandering to tenebrous eyes and smooth lips that I can never get enough of. Though my mind doesn't get to go too far as the door opens.

"Oh! You're so beautiful, girls!" My Mom barges in my room, a camera in her hands. "Let me take a pic!"

"Mom, you know there will be a photographer at the dance!" I complain, but I'm unable to put down my smile in front of her eyes shining with emotion.

"You're gonna be turning heads tonight!" She grins, taking a thousand-and-first picture.

I wink knowingly at Mitchie.

"Thank you for inviting me tonight... to get ready and for the ball," Mitchie whispers to me when my Mom is already exiting the room, probably searching for her phone to take more pictures.

"It's nothing! And it's more fun to get ready with a friend!" I smile back, looking at her.

Her long brown hair, usually in a ponytail, is arranged in a waterfall of curls, and her Latina curves are hugged by a beige tight dress. I must admit I'm kinda proud of me on my Cupid mission, not for her makeover – she is already gorgeous, and I've just helped her with the hair and makeup – but for suggesting Josh and her to come to the ball, since former students can come too, and it's the first step in my little mission. They go as friends, yet I'm sure they'll return as more.

"Your knights in shining armors are here!" My Mom comes back in my room, a twinkle in her hazel-green eyes.

Our dark knights... The baddest bad boys of the town waiting for us downstairs, if my Dad knew this, he would probably have a heart attack and get enraged! Luckily, he is still at work right now, and my Mom has told me to not worry for tonight because she's got my back. I'm still a little concerned, yet actually, there is so much bustle in my stomach for tonight that it isn't my main preoccupation.

 "I don't know if it's a good idea..." Mitchie winces, pulling me out of my nervousness as her own anxious eyes are staring at the mirror.

"Don't worry, you're stunning! When Josh will see you, he will fall at your feet!"

"I don't know... You know he's a player. He dates a new girl every week, I–"

"Maybe because he hasn't found the right one. He's already crazy about you, and he just needs a little help to realize it!" I offer her a confident smile to reassure her a little.

Though inside, I'm as apprehensive as her. I'm not used to dances and parties, and all those social gatherings are nerve-racking for a shy, clumsy girl like me, especially in high heels! Yet I also have this thrilling nervousness that makes my stomach flutter with butterflies just with the thought of being with Alex.