CHAPTER 12 : TAKE THE LEAP

I jump upon the horror-movie-like creaking noise of the gate opening.

The sight that appears behind it could also resemble a horror movie's beginning with the ropes, harnesses, karabiners, and other stuff like that Alex is holding in his hands. Though a wave of relief warms me up instantly as I cross his tenebrous gaze, and even if for me, it doesn't look frightening, the tools in his hands and the backpack on his shoulder still appear like an enigma.

"You're coming?" He pulls me out of my puzzled thoughts with a raised eyebrow.

"Er... yeah..." I join him, but I stop at the gate, narrowing my eyes to read the large sign 'Staff only'.

"Are you sure we're allowed to enter?" I question, my voice unsure even though I'm already guessing the answer.

"It's open and there's no one to stop us." He shrugs, one of his famous smirks playing on his lips.

A light laugh escapes me at the simplicity of his wicked reasoning. "You've just opened it!"

"Don't worry, no one will know." He holds his hand out, his dark gaze appearing serious and trust-worthy despite the sparkle of mischief shining there.

I must admit looking in those hypnotizing eyes gleaming with expectation is inviting, and once again I'm left biting on my lip, trying to think coherently for a decision, although it's useless because the choice is already made. Despite all the consequences and questions resonating in my head: Where is he taking me? What we're gonna do? Why does he have all this stuff?... I'm a goner, and I follow him without a second thought.

He leads the way, following the gravel path, and we disappear into the shadows of the woods.

The deeper we get into the forest, the less those shadows seem scary. Actually, I can even find light peeking through the dense foliages, and the contrast with the golden fall colors is mystical and beautiful. Gaining assurance with each step, I let my gaze wander everywhere, my head lifting up to catch every magical detail. Though all the confidence leaves my body when I glimpse a big detail.

"Zipline?!" I ask, gawking at the cables, ropes, wooden platforms... hung in the trees above our heads before focusing back on Alex with the same wide eyes.

"Surprise!" He offers me a grin.

I freeze for a second, not breathing, not moving, and blinking my eyes as the information processes through my paralyzed brain. 

When it finally sinks in, I can only shake my head frantically. "No! No! We're not doing this?!"

"What did you think we would do with ropes and karabiners? Though, I might have some ideas..." A slow smirk forms on his devious lips.

I feel my cheeks heat up slightly, but I'm more focused on the tiny cables and the height of the gigantic trees, so I repeat, still moving my head from left to right consistently. "No, I'm not doing this!"

He puts down everything he is holding and comes closer to me. "Come on! I promise you it will be fun!" He raises his right hand, like he's swearing on oath, and he looks me straight in the eyes.

Even though I fight it, a smile naturally finds its way on my lips. "Anyway, how are we gonna do? There are no instructors to help us"

"We don't need anyone." His intense eyes are boring into mine, catching my breath. "You're fine with me." He rasps and holds out his hand for me.

I stare at his strong hand open for me, unable to hear my thoughts over the loud thumps of my heart, though I guess I don't need to; I've already taken my decision before, and if I've come all the way, now I gotta trust him. So nibbling on my lower lip, I take his hand, and I immediately feel his warmth soothing my nerves.