18

Kailah

"My name is Eden Noir, firstborn to Rey and Reyna Noir. I am the only heir to the insidious throne of the Greek god Hades, god of the dead, and King of the Underworld."

It echoed in my head like the ending of a really good book. Or in my case, a really nice dream.

Waking up is never easy to do, especially this morning

Waking up is never easy to do, especially this morning. I was stupendously tired, and found it exhausting just to open my eyes. Every time I blinked it burned, but the sun was bright, and spewing in through the windows like liquid gold. I sat myself up, groggily and questioned where I was. Yes, I was back in my bed, how? I recalled last night, turning and seeing Eden, whom I so desperately didn't want to disturb. I recalled he and I sharing our pasts, and myself drinking tea. And finally, I recalled myself fainting from exhaustion, and feeling two warm arms catching me in time. I smiled at first, considering the fact that he carried me back to my bedroom. Then I mentally cursed myself for being such a burden in such a short amount of time. I mean really how embarrassing.

I recalled my dream, and it's detailed choice of words; it was my curiosity getting the best of me. Eden was, as I'm sure Nadia would describe it, a man full of mystery. He had this darkness about him that just drew you in, and it made you feel that any situation at all was possible in his case. But Greek gods aren't existent, at least not anymore. I shook my head, just me ridiculing myself again.

I wonder what time it is. The sun was bright, too bright to be early morning. Right at that very moment, there was a light knock at the door. My heart fluttered and my eyes widened, out of anxiety. I suppose my brain wasn't fully awake yet. "Who is it?" I croaked.

"It's Nicholas, are you dressed?"

Nick? A small piece of me was sad, or maybe just disappointed. Maybe, some 7-year old piece of me fantasied that Eden was on the other side. I tossed the warm comforter to the side, seeing I was dressed, but not at all decent. "Just one second please!" I shouted, scrambling to get to my things. I hustled to my armoire, taking out a faded peach smock, it wasn't the best option, but I had little time here. I changed on the spot, as quickly as my arms could do so, and tossed my sleeping garments into the bathroom, quickly slamming the door shut.

"Come in!"

The door unlatched, and in came Nicholas, holding a tray with what I'm assuming was a late breakfast. Needless to say, I was touched.

"Well, you slept through breakfast–" He said, making my cheeks flush a bright red. I'm really not like this at all, I promise. "—so Karin made some brunch. It's just about to be noon, so I hope this isn't too heavy for you."

He walked closer to me and I finally saw what he carried with him; a tray with some finger sandwiches, a bowl of fruit, deviled eggs, and some toast on the side. He also managed to balance iced tea on the tray, if it were me, I would have dropped everything by now.