6

Kailah

"Our sincerest gratitude for your benevolent hospitality, truly. " Salem bowed before looking at me and then walking towards the exit. I followed immediately; I knew I was responsible for making this whole conversation awkward and it was eating me alive.

I shouldn't have come. I shouldn't have come at all. I should never come to these things again.

Before I knew it we were outside the large ominous doors. In the back of my thoughts I could hear hurried footsteps. I felt a tug on my arm, gentle not harsh, the action turning me around towards the house again. It was the woman from earlier, kind and caring, it was Karin. She held onto both my shoulders, the warmth of her touch warming my own.

"Kailah, please, don't take what he said to heart. Remember what I told you earlier, before you walked over to them, it's the truth. Don't ponder on his words, okay?" She smiled. If I was going to be honest, half of me understood what she said. The other half was too busy overthinking and longing for the comfort of being alone. So I smiled back, hoping that would be competent enough; she seemed to accept it and just as gently as she held on to me, she let me go. Turning away made my feet feel so heavy, trying to catch up to Salem fast enough made them feel even heavier.

Sitting atop the familiar black leather of the car brought me paris. I would be getting back to my familiar sightings soon, and that was enough to quiet the voices that flooded my mind. Outside the blossoms, that embodied everything spring is, waltzed back and forth.

Somehow the affable dance reminded me of the compassion of Karin and her tender attempts to keep me down to earth

"Kailah, please, don't take what he said to heart. Remember what I told you earlier, before you walked over to them, it's the truth. Don't ponder on his words, okay?"

I never left our home. So I never met many people. I've never come across someone so considerate before. When that man called my name, it felt as if lightening struck right through me. I felt like a lamb, thrown out in a safari of lions. I felt that sinking feeling in my body that you feel when you can't speak or think or anything. My mind and everything in it become the color of lifelessness. Then, I could only make out Karin's voice; humor and generosity and every emotion of happiness in between.

"Don't let him fool you Kailah. Behind that stern voice, dark hair, and lifeless eyes, is a little boy who never got to live. You may be full of nerves, but I'd take that over a grown man with the mentality and maturity of a 5 year old any day."

Then she smiled at me, and sent me on my way to the lion. After what she said I wasn't really anxious over the man, but the situation I was intertwined in. I knew that the conversation would derive to myself, and I didn't want that. I didn't want the responsibility of wavering the conversation at hand.