3

A/N:  This is still being told from Eden's point of view. I ended up writing way too much for chapter 2 so I decided to slice it in half; proceed!

-

In one hour, I managed to slump out of bed, take advantage of Karin's cooking, and express some kind of decent clothing on myself.

I hung my head down low taking a far more than adequate sip of black coffee from a mug, that sufficiently showed my lack of determination for cleaning. Subconsciously, my eyebrows scrunched together, and my lips flattened to a thin line in disgust, as I forced myself to adjust to the overbearingly bitter taste of coffee. To my enduring dismay, my walk down the stairs gained no reward. Karin was already waiting for me below, arms crossed in bewilderment.

"What?" I asked, curious as to what I had done now. She drooped her head to a side. And gave me a corrosive response, with reason of course.

"Really Eden? That is how you plan to meet with the Lady of the House?"

"Yes." I countered; all while moving my left hand up and down, displaying my baggy grey shirt and casual jeans. "Yes this is exactly how I plan to meet with the La- okay hold on. Who is this Lady of the House. Why are we calling her 'Lady' please, indulge me." I bit back, taking another abominable but very necessary sip of coffee.

"I told you Eden." She pivoted her position, her back now facing me, as she made her way to the large ivory doors of the foyer. "This is a very classy house. Remember to smile and greet." She added, running her left index finger from the center of her lips, to her ear; signaling for me to follow her presentation.

"Just open the door."

The gentle shrill of the large doors sent an echo through the foyer, marking the reality that someone was anew; or rather, two.

Karin welcomed a company of two into the abode. Although they came together, it was pronounced that the two were incredibly diverse. The most evident, was a middle aged woman, not too much older than Karin. Something about her was off-putting. She dressed in another era, another time, another life; walked with her back straight and head high. I can only assume how much she thought of herself. The shadow behind her, was a younger girl. She looked like a child, merely entering the first steps of adulthood. She followed carefully behind the steps of the woman in front of her; as if that woman was her only ground.

"I'd like to introduce you to our head of household, this is Eden Noir." Karin beamed, she always seemed proud to introduce me as such.

"This is Karin. By profession, she is a sort of caretaker for his home. Although I present the face of this abode, Karin is the honest dynamic behind it. So please, see her as my equal."

"I see." She asserted. She seemed to house one smile when communicating with Karin, and home another entity, when communicating with me. "It is a pleasure to finally speak with you, sir. It was one honor to speak with you over the phone, but another to finally speak with you per chance in such an alluring home."

Her voice was seemed honeyed. It was sweet, because she made it so, and who knew what was underneath that sugar.

"I can't take credit for that compliment. I wasn't the one giving it. My brothers called your house. They will be the two main commonalities hosting tonight." I sipped at my now almost barren mug. Karin gave me a look of disgust. I could hear her mentally lecturing me for being so rude to our guest. Unbeknownst to her, that's exactly the attitude I wanted to portray.

"Regardless of who told whom, your status is very well known. And we are all very grateful." She sneered; rather quickly. I knew at this point, that this exchange of words would not be an exemplary one.

"I trust you're here to discuss over the rules of your house and it's condiments, yes?"

"Very much so, if you are willing Sir."

"In that case, lets sit and discuss over in the lounge area." I proposed. "No use in standing and discussing." I made my way over to the designated area, not waiting for her engagement.

I stumped myself over onto the couch and leaned forward, resting my elbows on my knees. The vulgar woman, came and sat ever so carefully on the couch in front of me. The coffee table between us, now seeming like a war zone; anxiety.

"Let's start." I approached, setting my fist under my chin, only exaggerating the fact that I had become so incredibly satiated with this meeting. "What exactly did you want to deliver miss-?"

"Salem." She remarked, bitterly, raw. "Salem, no last name." She smiled. "What I really wanted to discuss, was the matter of my girls. I am not sure of your expectations, but my house is not a fault of desires. In short, my girls will respect others as long as they are treated as such."

"As I mentioned before, I will not be attending said event with you or your familiars. My brothers will be the host of the association tonight. I can assure you they do not fault respect unless given reason to. You have nothing to tarry about." The environment was becoming agitated. Nothing seemed to settle in the right place. Almost as if on cue, a small but persistent hymn of porcelain clinking together caught our ear.

Looking off to my left and Salem's right, I noticed a very perplexed Karin trying to keep a shivering cup of tea from spilling over in the younger girl's hands. For whatever reason, the younger girl Salem had walked in with seemed in a dither, and overall minute.

"That girl you brought along with you today, is she one of yours?" I doted.

"Yes. I must apologize. I woke her quite early today to help around with my girls for this event. She is not a morning person and seems to be under the weather." She clarified.

"Does she have a name?"

Her gaze anxiously moved from the girl, to myself; questioningly. She hesitated.

"...Kailah. Her name is Kailah."

Interesting. 

I glanced in her direction. Karin still had her hands on the young girl's; ghastly attempting at giving her some support that the girl simply lacked.

"Kailah?"