12

Eden

"So...who's going to tell her?" Michael had so rudely blurted out from my right. Immediately, Nicholas snapped to face his conniving brother. While on my left, Karin was internally throwing me to the hellhound.

I could literally feel the fire in Karin's gaze burning at my side. Granted, I didn't think things through before I opened my mouth, but I didn't exactly deserve this tension.

"Tell me what?" Kailah asked, more a whisper than anything else. Her features were dim, she was worried, I could sense that too. How could I explain all this? How could I say it? Without sounding like a complete asshat that is?

"Eden bought you—!"

"Michael!" Karin scolded.

I closed my eyes, and sighed. This is going to be so much fun trying to straighten out. I dropped my fork on my gingerly poked–at plate, contemplating where to begin.

"What he means to say–" Karin started. "–is that you don't have to go back there if you don't want to. On our behalf, all of us,–" She emphasized. "–we'd love for you to stay here . You're kind, and sweet, and everything spring is. Something we're all missing here." She smiled.

Kailah stared at Karin, taking in everything she heard. With glossy eyes and warm cheeks she turned to look at me. "Really? Is...that true?"

First things first Eden. "I didn't buy you. You're not property or anything so I didn't purchase you under any label. The only reason money was involved is because a business is a business and she may not have exactly given you an option. I just wanted security. So don't feel obligated to stay or obligated to repay. You just, you don't exactly belong there."

The idiots to my right were grinning like clowns. Kailah was beginning to smile, as sweet as the first blooming flower in spring, but it quickly receded. Memories. Of course.

"I know you must have friends, at least the girl from last night right?" I asked. She nodded.

"You mean the one from the picture?" Michael intruded, with dried sauce on his cheek. Disgusting. "Really nice girl by the way." He smiled while looking at Kailah.

"Michael!" Karin scolded once more through gritted teeth.

The child sunk back in his seat. "Sorry."

"...Nadia. She's the girl, the only one I'm close to there at least." Kailah spoke.

"Is she single?" Michael blubbered again.