7

Kailah

"So–" Nadia hopped over to sit next to me on the bed. "–how was it?"

I focused on stitching the two puzzles of fabric together as seamlessly as possible, well that and the fact that I'm a bit clumsy so no sharp objects should be entrusted to me. I was considering nail polish tonight and the last thing I needed was a stinging pain from the alcohol in polish remover and punctures on my skin. I winced slightly just thinking of it.

"Hello, earth to Godsend here?" She mocked, waving a hand between my vision of the dress.

"Sorry Nadia, how was what?" I didn't lose my focus on the project at hand, but I didn't exactly need to look over to notice Nadia drop her head in annoyance. She clicked her tongue.

"Come onnnnn, you know! How'd it go?" She questioned again eagerly.

"How did what go?"

She scoffed, "You know, how'd it go?"

"...I'm not sure what you mean?" I questioned.

Nadia twitched and bolted a hand towards mine at work, slap.

"Ow! What was that for? I'm specifically trying not to stab myself."

"Stop that! You know Salem never tells us about our clients, and she certainly doesn't bother meeting them beforehand. You're the only one who can satisfy my cravings of gossip right now, so how'd it go?" She asked again, eagerly.

I stopped working on the dress for just a second as I thought about how to answer her. How had it gone?

"It went okay I suppose. It certainly didn't go as best as it could have." I added before returning to the intricate stitches.

"'It went okay?' Really? That's all you can give me? Bullshit! Come on I need something else. What did he look like? What was the house like? Any names?" She pressed.

I stopped to look over at her. Just how much did I know? Half of the time I looked at the ground; and if it wasn't that, it was every where else BUT someone's eyes or face.

"Well... –" I started. "–...it was a much bigger house, although I wouldn't call it that; more like a mansion." Nadia grinned from ear to ear.

"And? What did it look like? No, never mind that, who's the owner?"

I slowly began threading the needle through the fabric again. "I'm not exactly sure. The person who opened the doors for us was a woman. She seemed to be somewhere around Salem's age; but she was very nice and very welcoming." I smiled remembering her homeliness. "After she invited us in, she introduced to the person she called the head of the household, so I can only assume it's his property—"

Nadia held up a finger up to me and wailed it around violently. "Stop right there! That is exactly what I need to hear; alright tell me more about this head of household."

My brows furrowed together subconsciously. Now that I thought of it, I really never got a good look at him. "Nadia to tell you the truth, I was a nervous wreck and tried to avoid his gaze at all costs. I can't exactly describe his features or anything, but–" I paused. "–his voice was very prominent, husky almost, but not in a violent way."

"What about a name? Did you get a name?"

The question lingered for just a moment. I slid the needle underneath the loop of the last stitch to tie it in place. "The woman's name was Karin. As for the man... Eden. Eden was his name."