9

Kailah

It was warm. At least, that was the only sensation I felt at the moment. My face was warm. Sunlight, I'm sure.
By now, Nadia is more than likely up and purposefully holding the curtains open, leaving the responsibility of waking me up to the menacing sun.

I internally persuaded myself to open my eyes, knowing that once I did, there was no going back.

I expected to be greeted by the peach under toned wallpaper in Nadia's room; what I've become so accustomed to

I expected to be greeted by the peach under toned wallpaper in Nadia's room; what I've become so accustomed to. But I didn't. Instead, the sun seemed all the more brighter, as if I was closer; and the walls, high and bruised, weren't mine. This wasn't my environment. I'm lost; my body and mind abducted.

Underneath the plush comforter I was hiding in, I could hear heavy shuffles of loose fabric. It was then, that it all actually hit me. I was still in my dress, still a picture of last night; but these were not my sheets, Nadia was not here, these were not the walls of my room, and this was certainly not our house.

There was a hollow bellow releasing from the door opening to this room. Then came gentle steps. With eyes still droopy, I focused to who came in front of me, Karin. She walked in as welcoming and homely as ever. Her starry ochre hair in a small pony tail, sloppy but flawless. She was currently sporting an oversized magenta night gown, being completely overpowered by a green apron plastered with the word 'seasoned meat' in what, I can only assume, are multiple different languages. I could smell the vanilla wafting off of her from across the room.

Drooping from one of her arms, was what appeared to be a shorter ivory gown.

"Good morning Kailah." She greeted. "I'll close these curtains for you, I'm sorry I know I should have come in sooner. You see I'm fairly used to waking up a pig around noon, not a princess in the early morning."

"Karin, it's light outside." I slurred, still drunk with retirement.

"Yes well–" She started, releasing the folds of the last curtains together. "–that usually happens when morning comes."

"I couldn't have slept here the whole night–did I? How long has it been?"

"Well, Eden came downstairs some time around 10 last night, and told me you were resting in his bedroom. Everyone left soon afterwards, and it's roughly around 9:30 in the morning right now. So, you slept for just about 12 hours sweetie." She smiled.

"12 hours? That's impossible! I should get going–" I clamored whipping away the cool sheets. To which Karin responded by quickly retrieving, more like snatching away, the intolerable heels I had taken off to the side of me last night. She set down the gown she had been holding onto, beside me. Looking closer, I realized it was more of a casual silk romper than a gown; something I really couldn't picture Karin wearing.

"Don't worry about heading back, Salem is aware that you stayed behind." She insisted, rather sternly at the mention of Salem. She quickly brought back a smile. "Besides, we never have company and its so nice to have someone like you here to bring some life into this bruised home. Please change into this romper, it'll fit you like a glove." She pat down the romper beside me, in a jokingly manner. "I know what you're thinking, 'Karin could never wear that' right? Well, you're right. I've bought so many articles of clothing that ended up looking better on the mannequin than myself." She brought up a finger to the bottom lash of her eye and extending it downwards, emphasizing a 'tear' falling down her cheek.