Chapter 16: A Pie and a Cake

When Alex reached Halcyon, the place was abuzz with people of all ages, gorging on a variety of fanciful dishes. Several waiters and waitresses in light blue aprons circulated the room, each wearing a servile smile on their faces.

Carsyn leaned against the counter watching the world go by inside, when she noticed Alex at the door and waved him over.

"No more avoiding your uncle?" Alex asked her.

"Only because he threatened to kidnap you from your house if he didn't finally get to meet you," Carsyn explained, sounding more exasperated then ever. "If his single-minded behavior bothers you at all, just give me some sort of look and I'll teach him better, okay?" Alex nodded. "And beware, he talks sometimes like he's a sidekick to the main character in a cheesy romance movie."

Alex chuckled, but nodded. "Lead the way."

Carsyn turned, starting towards a back room behind the counter. Alex followed as they entered what appeared to be a break-room. It was a spacious area with a few white folding tables and chairs — some of the most plain-looking objects in the entire restaurants. Although the walls, like the rest of the café, tremendously colorful.

At the center of the room stood Silas, gleefully resting at a violet colored, triangular table. "You're here at last!" he said upon laying eyes on the two. "Come on, let me get a good look at you. And please, call me Silas." Carsyn went forward with Alex right by her side, but as soon as they were close enough, Silas reached out and clutched Alex by his shoulders and pulled him in to get a closer view. "Alex Prior, you look precisely like your dad."

"Not sure that's really a good thing," Alex pouted.

Silas laughed, and the seasoned tone of it resounded in the room. "Martin had the right idea about you. Come sit. We'll dine like high-ranking, professional baking judges."

He stepped to the side revealing six dishes, three tall glasses, a napkin dispenser, and a clear jar with three metal forks tucked inside, all on set on the table. Wonder-struck by the placement, Alex followed Carsyn in taking a seat.

"In front of you is a slice of pumpkin chocolate-chip cake, topped with chocolate sauce on one plate. While on the other plate, is a slice of blackberry lemonade pie, topped with some blackberries. And for the beverage, is a chocolate and vanilla swirled milkshake," Silas explained. He held himself like an actual waiter announcing the appetizers at a high-class restaurant. "A pie and a cake will make your stomach ache, but since this is a special occasion, a stomach ache will be worth it."

Alex stood from his seat halfway, then delivered a slight bow to Silas. "감사합니다. (Kamsahamnida)" He then grabbed a fork from the jar and dug straight into the pie.

Silas glanced at Alex, surprised. His head craned to Carsyn for awaiting an explanation, but she grinned like a cat instead as she dove a fork into the cake as well, paying no attention to her uncle.

"I see you're passing on your knowledge of those Korean language lessons from Ziro, over to Alex," Silas still said to her.

"Mhmmm," Carsyn mumbled.

"Do you know any Korean, Silas?" Alex asked.

Silas beamed. "I know a few phrases. You see, before Syn was passing her newly learned knowledge onto you, I was first in line. Her mother was born in South Korea, yet she always neglected to teach Syn the language. Ziro's mother was born there too, and Ziro was always surrounded by the culture growing up. So, eventually after meeting Ziro, Syn let him start teaching her-oomf!" There was a stifled thud beneath the table, as it trembled a bit from apparent impact nearby. Alex watched as the smile vanished from Silas' face, and was aimed accusingly now at Carsyn.