Chapter 6: Here Comes the Neighborhood

Later that afternoon, Alex was busy with unpacking in his new bedroom, when he heard a knock on his door. Grayson let himself in.

"Manners much?" Alex said with crossed his arms.

Grayson chuckled. "Oh come on, don't be like that, Lex. I knocked, let that be enough." Alex gave him one last disapproving glare before returning to unpacking. "Now, where the gondola have you been all night and day?"

"Making friends. Isn't that why we moved here? It's like I've been meeting someone new each second. I think you'd be proud."

"Hey now, I've always been proud of you. And now that you're making some real friends, I'm extra proud of you!"

Alex grumbled and launched a blue pillow at Grayson. "Grow up old man."

"Grow down young man." Grayson brought another pillow up to defend his face as Alex readied a larger pillow to throw.

The front doorbell suddenly rang, making Alex lower his pliable weapon and soar out of the room to go answer it.

Grayson disarmed himself as well, but flinched when he was swatted on his back by another pillow. "Cheater!"

Alex grinned to himself and ditched his pillow before heading downstairs.

When he opened the door, he saw a daring looking Carsyn dressed in short black boots, leather pants, and a leather black jacket, with her hair down, flowing in the light wind. "Ready to go, Lexy?"

Alex recalled earlier when Ziro told him that Carsyn would come for him later in the day, and also when Jeremi had shouted something about a party. He was about to answer her when Grayson came galloping downstairs.

"You know what? I'm insanely not proud of you throwing things at me! Not cool at all, Lex! And who's at the door?" He peeked over Alex's shoulder and caught sight of Carsyn. "Oh...miss, are you really comfortable wearing an outfit like that-" Alex harshly nudged him in his waist. "Ah, sorry...nevermind. Our neighbor told me that the kids in town like to dress in a 'vulgar' way."

Carsyn erupted into a tumultuous laughter, leaving Grayson confused. "So you must be the 'polite' dad of Lexy's. Oh, the things I've read in the letters must be true now that I've met you for real!" She laughed again, and even Alex chuckled a bit as well.

"W-what things? Wait...letters? Are you...Carsyn? That Carsyn? Holy jalapenos...And uhm, oh, your eyes...they're very pretty."

"Aww, thanks. It's nice to finally meet you, papa Prior. Now come with me, both of you. A celebration awaits."

"Celebration?" Grayson asked.

"Yup! Whenever someone new moves to Moonhaven, the whole town gets together to plan the most exuberant party that will go on for hours into the night. You may not decline to come."

"We're ready," Alex declared.

"Wait, we don't have our shoes on-" Grayson started to say as he pointed to both his and Alex's socks and sandals covered feet.

"You won't be judged for your foot attire, papa Prior. Promise." Carsyn giggled. Grayson blushed and nodded. "Follow me." She turned and started off into the dimming day, with Alex and Grayson close behind.

A ten minute walk had led them to a huge house in the most north-eastern part of the town. The majority of it was a soul-stirring black and grey. There was no fence around it, but instead two sizeable stone statues of wolves acting as an invisible surrounding barrier as well a guard to a short path that led up to the porch.

The house seemed undeniably spine-chilling, Alex thought.

"Welcome to Umbramoor Manor," Carsyn announced. She continued down the path and up to the porch.