When We Were Young - Chapter 3

A week went by that Jisoo spent most of it in school, or in the library studying. It was October's finals week and when Thursday rolled around she didn't even go home, instead she crashed at her parents' house, sleeping in her old bedroom. There were no exams on Friday which left Jisoo free to sleep in and relax for the first time. She realized that medical school wasn't as bad and that while most of her time was spent commuting, at school and studying she enjoyed learning about things she was already mostly familiar with.

"Finally someone decided to get up," Dara teased and glanced at the clock. It was nearing twelve am but she wasn't angry.

Jisoo shrugged. "Finals week. But you probably don't remember."

Dara gasped, feigning hurt. "Seunghyun, did you hear that? She called me old."

Seunghyun grinned at Jisoo. "Now, personally I didn't hear those words coming from our daughter's mouth, but if the shoe fits."

Dara grabbed a towel and smacked Seunghyun with it making Jisoo laugh. Her parents were still silly just as before. "Irene has a game tonight," Jisoo reminded them. "We're leaving around four."

"We?" Seunghyun asked, wiggling his eyebrows. Since Jisoo has graduated from college her dad was around a lot more.

"Me and Lisa," Jisoo said, though her voice shook and she knew they would catch her lie.

"And?" Seunghyun dragged out, fishing for other names.

Jisoo sighed. She knew her parents just wanted her to be happy and her mom even set her up with a girl over a year ago that was otherwise nice, but Jisoo wasn't interested. "And no one."

"Are you dating them?" Dara asked excitedly.

"No!"

"Then why won't you tell us?" Seunghyun probed even further.

Jisoo huffed. "Because. You're going to freak out and it's going to get weird and I'm still trying to get comfortable with the idea of them being back." Dara and Seunghyun were both staring at her, mouth agape and confused. Jisoo bit down on her bottom lip, contemplating whether she should tell them or not. "Jennie and June," she blurted out.

They continued to stare at her.

"Kim? They used to live a block away. I dated Jennie. Ring any bells?"

"I just... We just weren't sure if we heard you correctly," Dara said, softer this time because she knew Jennie was a touchy subject. "So they're back? How come? Since when?"

Jisoo sat down on a stool, realizing this was going to take a while. "I saw June a week ago on a bus. We went out on Saturday to play airsoft and Jennie was there. We didn't talk much. And it was really awkward. But they're back. June's studying marine biology at SM."

"Invite them for lunch," Dara said eagerly and clapped her hands together, obviously proud of the sudden idea.

"Mom!"

"What?"

Jisoo groaned. "It's weird. And awkward. And I don't know if they want to come over."

"Send a text," Dara offered. "They can say no, we won't be offended. Just try. For us."

Jisoo hated the guilt trip her mom was doing. For her parents. She sighed and picked up her phone and selecting June's name. She stared at it for few long minutes before her fingers finally moved over the keyboard.

Jisoo
[12:05pm] Hi, so I somehow accidentally told my parents that we're going to Irene's game together and they want you and Jennie to come over. It's okay to say no. Don't feel forced. Just a heads up. Sometime around 2pm would be good.