When We Were Young - Chapter 1

Jisoo was barely able to keep her eyes open as she climbed onto the bus and sat down. She always sat somewhere near the back so she couldn't hear the older passengers talking to the driver at the front. At 22 years old Jisoo was now a medical student and she commuted to YG University School of Medicine for an hour and fifteen minutes. Her parents offered her to pay for an on campus apartment but Jisoo refused, preferring to stay in her hometown. The drive also gave her enough time to study, sometimes she even did homework on the bus home.

Lisa graduated from Florida A&M University, studying mechanical engineering, and was now working at Army National Guard as construction equipment repairer. Lisa especially loved the basic combat training. Irene has been all the way in Connecticut on a sports scholarship, playing for the Huskies softball team and field hockey. She has been incredible and Jisoo and Lisa tried to fly there as often as possible to see her play for big games. But now Irene was on her way to join USA Softball Women's National Team. After a while of tiptoeing around Suho's friend Bogum she finally gathered enough courage and asked him out. He said yes and they have been together ever since – much to Suho's dismay, although he was glad that Bogum was a great guy and not a jerk.

Jisoo hasn't heard from Jennie since she left. Her mom called Chaerin a few times but suddenly her phone was disconnected. For a really long time Jisoo was mad. She felt abandoned and her heart was broken. Jennie left without an apology, without a real goodbye. But eventually Jisoo moved on, though she built up walls around her heart and she was never able to quite fully date. Not that she had time because medical school was hard and took up most of her time even if she was only two months in.

Jisoo was half an hour away from university, her laptop opened as she just finished reading through the latest assigned chapters. Student's books were expensive and her parents might be rich but if something was available online, for free – even if it was illegal, Jisoo didn't waste a moment before downloading it. The bus pulled to a stop, picking up new passengers. It was now 8:30 in the morning and her first class was at 9:35. Jisoo looked up from her computer, a young boy with dirty dark hair, oddly familiar. He grinned at the bus driver and walked towards the back of the bus where Jisoo was. He sat on a seat that was in the same row as hers. Jisoo frowned and then shrugged, leaning back and grabbing her phone.

Princess Kim
[8:32 AM] I am in a need of a break.

She didn't have to wait long for a reply.

Manoban-Park
[8:33 AM] Same. I'm hella tired

Jisoo laughed to herself.

Princess Kim
[8:33 AM] I'm sure it has nothing to do with Chaeyoung keeping you up all night.

Lisa and Chaeyoung's relationship ended after Chaeyoung moved away to go to college, though they refused to acknowledge they were in an actual relationship in the first place, and Lisa dated other people. That was until two years after Chaeyoung's graduation when they realized through the constant texting and calling each other that they couldn't be apart. They got engaged just a month ago and Jisoo teased Lisa by hyphenating their last names.

Manoban-Park
[8:35 AM] U just mad cause I'm having awesome sex

Jisoo couldn't deny that. It's been way too long since she went outside and found someone she was willing to sleep with. Her eyes glanced at the boy near her. He couldn't be older than 18 and he seemed so familiar. He had a bracelet around his left wrist. A rainbow one. One that seemed awfully familiar to... "Holy fuck," Jisoo blurted out.

The boy raised his head, his eyes meeting Jisoo's until they widened. "Jisoo?"

"June?"

June grinned widely. His voice was now deeper, his face no longer childlike, his jaw sharp just like Jennie's. "That would be me, yeah," he said and laughed. "What are you doing here?" There was a slight hint of British accent that he most likely picked up by going to school in England for 6 years.