Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Thanks to everyone who voted or commented!!! Plz keep doing it! Thnx starry chaser! Sorry if this is a really short chapter! I just wanted to post something.

* * *

My life had changed so much in the last couple days. I didn’t know what to think anymore.

We were running through the streets, well Alec was running, I was stumbling every three seconds. Alec had blinding speed, which I’d seen him use before, so I knew he must have purposely be running normal so I could catch up.

“Come on Jessica! You’re not that athletic are you?” Alec stopped abruptly, and I finally managed to reach him.

Gasping for air, taking in as much as I could, I barely managed to talk. “Really? You just noticed?”

Alec grinned and started off running again. I tried to follow him as fast as I could but to no avail. He was already three blocks ahead when I doubled over, panting. We’d been running for hours, Alec said he knew where we were going but I didn’t believe that. Night had come and I was cold, it was dark and I was sweaty.

“Jess! Why are you so slow?” Alec’s voice echoed through the streets, but I could only hear him faintly.

I stood up, to make a witty remark back, but couldn’t find the energy.

Alec was suddenly next to me.

“How did you….” I gasped in shock in exhaustion. How was he so fast?

He frowned for a moment before smiling again. “I’ll tell you later”

I stood upright and managed to get my breathing normal again.

“I can’t go any further Alec. Can’t we rest?” I begged in my nicest voice.

This time he truly did frown. “No time. But I’ve got an idea”

I was suddenly lifted up and I realised he was carrying me.

“Put me down! Put me down!” I yelped in surprise.

Alec just smiled devishly. “Would you rather have to run?”

I considered this for a moment, before realising this wasn’t so bad. Alec felt so warm; it was like I could fall asleep in his arms.

“How is this making us go faster?” I asked in confusion. He was walking quite slowly, so we weren’t making much progress.

“You want to go faster?” He asked innocently and I had a horrible feeling in my stomach that he was going to do something bad.

Suddenly we were speeding past, through the streets until the outside world turned to a blur. The wind whipped past my face so hard it stung and I could barely open my eyes.

Alec then slowed down and set me on the ground.

“Fun huh?” He looked like he has enjoyed himself. But me, well let’s just say my world wouldn’t stop spinning.

Suddenly a dumb thought popped into my head.

“Please tell me you’re not like a vampire from twilight or whatever! Please say you’re not!” I suddenly sounded like I’d had too much coffee. That reminded me I hadn’t had coffee in a few days, I missed coffee.

Alec burst out laughing so hard I thought he’d start rolling on the ground.

“No seriously Alec. What are you?” Suddenly panicked.

Alec stopped laughing instantly. “I suppose you ought to know”

He sighed in defeat. “I’m not a vampire. I’m not a werewolf. I’m not really any fictional character you’d know. There’s a large group of us, including me, that have… special abilities, like being real fast and real strong. We’re kind of magic. Anyway, we’re hunted by these other guys who think that we shouldn’t have these powers, that it’s unfair. But it’s real hard to catch us” He grinned.

“So they target the ones we love, until we have no one left. We become weak and so upset that it’s easy to hunt us. We draw power from those around us. Not take it from them but, if I’m with a group of people that are happy, I can draw lots of energy from that. But if they take everyone I love, then I have no where to get energy from”

I stood still, absolutely shocked. I couldn’t move and my mouth was dry. I tried to speak but the words got stuck in my throat.

I was silent for a few minutes before putting two and two together.

“Is that why that man came to kill me?” I asked.

Alec’s face went fierce and his jaw hardened. “Yes” He hissed through his clenched teeth.

I was confused for a moment. “But why would he be after me?”

Alec froze for a moment before grabbing my face and looking into my eyes.

“Because I love you Jessica”