1.5

FIVE
survival of the fittest

FIVE— survival of the fittest

YOU CAN'T WAKE UP
THIS IS NOT A DREAM.

JUNE, 2010

NUMBNESS. That was the only thing the brunette girl felt, or rather didn't, as she stood as stiff as a board with an unreadable expression masking her soft features. A tall blonde girl, probably two inches taller than her, stood in front of her with the same neutral face. The hands of both girls rested at their sides, already balled up into fists.

Madame stood far back from the combat area, but the smell of her expensive perfume lingered in the air. With a sharp nod, she signaled the two girls to begin.

The blonde girl, Olga Pavlova, was the first one to throw a punch but Arabella dodged it before it even touched her face. Olga was older and way taller than eight-year-old Arabella, perhaps she was stronger too. The game wasn't fair, but then again, what happens in the Red Room is never fair. So Arabella used her resources, what she had, to fight her opponent. In this case, all she had was herself.

You rely on yourself and nothing else.

Olga threw another punch at Arabella, who dodged it again and sent one of her own. A stinging pain ran through her first as it made contact with Olga's sharp cheekbone. The blonde hissed and kicked her leg, hitting Arabella on the side causing her to stumble and fall. Olga was quick to pin Arabella down with her legs and swiftly punch her pale face, but the brunette dug her nails in the blonde's arms and scratched them downwards. Olga winced and loosened her grip on Arabella's waist, so the younger girl pushed her off her small body harshly. Both girls stood up simultaneously and rushed for each other again. Olga sent another swift punch but Arabella locked her arm on Olga's and raised her knee to hit the taller girl on the ribs twice. In desperation, Olga yanked Arabella's braided hair with her free hand making her lose balance and stumble to the side. And while she regained her stability Olga hit her in the face twice. Her eyes began to water and her left cheek and nose began to bleed.

You rely on yourself and nothing else.

So she gritted her bloodied teeth, swallowed the stinging pain and continued to fight.

Olga charged towards her again, but Arabella bent down and swiped her leg underneath Olga, causing her to fall face first. Ignoring her blurry eyesight and the heavy stream of blood coming out of her nose anf runnning down her neck, Arabella quickly grabbed Olga's wrist and pulled it back until a sickening crack was heard. Olga let out an agonizing scream as Arabella let go of her now broken wrist. Arabella took a few steps back and swiped the blood of her mouth as she tried to catch her breath. Olga painfully stood up, glared at the younger girl and rushed towards her once again. Arabella evaded another hit, leaped and wrapped her legs around Olga's neck, and when she threw all her body to the side, both girls fell. Arabella didn't hesitate and started to punch the girl repeatedly in the face until Olga copied her moves and dug her nails on Arabella's forearms.