1.2

TWO
a golden childhood

TWO— a golden childhood

WE DON'T REMEMBER DAYS.
WE REMEMBER MOMENTS.

DECEMBER, 2004

IT WAS THE first birthday Arabella had to spent without her mother and she wasn't thrilled about it, not at all. She refused to have a birthday party or even a cake. All she wanted was her mom.

It was 11:18 a.m. and the now three-year-old girl hadn't left her room. She was debating with herself on whether leaving or not when someone knocked on her door. Her eyes widened. She quickly pulled the scarlet bedsheets over her and shut her eyes as she pretended to be asleep.

Footsteps could be heard and Bella tried her best to not turn around to see who the person was. Her breathing began to pick up, afraid that however the person was might find out she was actually awake and would force her out of the room.

A hand was placed on her small shoulder and she softly gasped, pressing her lips together forcefully while she mentally scolded herself. "I heard you." Her father's voice accusingly told her. "I know you're awake."

The little girl sighed in defeat, pushed the covers off her body and crisscrossed her pajama covered legs. Her brows immediately furrowed when her eyes landed on a red frosted cupcake.

Tony noticed and held the sweet out for her with a small smirk. "Happy birthday, Belles."

"Thank you." Her voice came out small as she reached out to grab the cupcake. Her little index finger poked the frosting and placed it in her mouth.

"I know you said no cake, but come on, it's your birthday." Tony scoped some of the frosting with his own finger and brushed it on her rosy cheek.

"Daddio!" Bella whined. Tony only chuckled at her cute scowl.

"Kiddo!" The father mimicked his daughter's whiny voice, making her scowl even more.

She scoped some frosting and smeared it all over his cheek. "We're even now." She smugly smiled.

Tony playfully rolled his eyes and ruffled her wild hair. His face turned into a serious one as he spoke, "I know you miss her." The air seemed to shift. "I want her to be here too." He rubbed his face and said in a softer tone, "But you and I know that won't happen."

She glanced down at her cupcake and angrily took a bit out of it. After Nina's death she got very sad, she wouldn't talk to anybody but the family's artificial intelligence, JARVIS. But soon that sadness turned into anger and she found herself angry at life for taking her mom away from them too soon.