1.1

ONE
from the beginning

ONE— from the beginning

OH, NINA.
LOVE WILL COME
AND LOVE WILL GO.

「 SEPTEMBER, 2004 」

IT WAS A SUNNY AFTERNOON in Malibu, California. Not quite fitting with the gloomy mood of the situation.

A two-year-old Arabella Stark stood still next to her father in a black sleeveless dress, her little hand intertwined with Tony's large one. They watched as the white casket lowered six feet under the very ground they were standing in.

Little Arabella crinkled her nose as she felt a burning sensation. Her throat tightened as she tried to not let the tears fall from her ocean eyes.

Ocean eyes.

Big eyes the same exact shade of blue as Nina's. The same exact shade Tony had grown to adore.

As the casket reached the bottom of the hole, tears spilled from the little girl's eyes, wetting her dark lashes and rounded cheeks. She bit down on her lower lip, holding back a choke as she squeezed her father's rough hand.

Tony softly squeezed her small hand back, not bringing himself to look her in the eyes. The eyes that resembled the ones of the woman that died the day before.

From beside Tony, Colonel James Rhodes gave his friend a small nod.

Tony took a step forward, taking his daughter along. He held his hand out and slowly let go of the red rose he held. Arabella followed, letting the rose fall from her trembling little hand.

She fiddled with the end of her dress as she watched more roses being thrown at the hole. She sniffed and her red nose wrinkled. She could taste the salty flavor of her own tears when she licked her lips.

Her mama was gone.

Unconsciously, more tears welled up in her eyes. Who was going to kiss her goodnight when her dad stayed up late to work? Who was going to braid her hair? Or tell her stories? Or catch her when she fell? Who was going to love her as she did?

Tony glanced at the sky, his dark sunglasses shielding him from the sun. And shielding everyone else from seeing his bloodshot eyes.

His wife was gone.

His chest began to ache at the thought of not having her around. It had been only three years, but he fell too hard for Nina. Who was going to keep up with him now? Or hold him when he was down? Who was going to help him raise a child? Who was going to love him the way she loved him?

He swallowed the lump in his throat and looked back down at his little girl.

Out of all the days he had lived, none of them stood out like the day she came into the picture. Since then, December 16 didn't feel the way it used to. A new Maria came to his life.

Nina might have left, but Arabella didn't. And Tony just had to protect the only thing left from Nina.

But sometimes, life takes a turn and things don't go as planned.

AUTHOR'S NOTE ━

Hey! Thank you for taking the time to read this! So, this is the prologue and it takes place during Tony's late wife and Arabella's late mother's funeral. In a few chapters, someone will make a very crucial appearance so keep on reading. The lyrics I used are from Ed Sheeran's Nina. I hope you stick around!

love, lili

( tales of sacrifice ; issue no. 1 )