1.4

FOUR
marias always leave

YOU'RE UNSURE WHICH PAIN
IS WORSE ; THE SHOCK OF
WHAT HAPPENED, OR THE
ACHE OF WHAT NEVER WILL.

「 DECEMBER, 2009 」

IT WAS DECEMBER TWENTY-EIGHT and the clock read 8:12 when the first bullet pierced the car's right window. Followed by a second bullet that shattered the windshield. Six minutes was all it took for her to be six feet under.

One.

Happy Hogan lost control of the steering wheel and a loud panicked scream left the girl's mouth as the car collided with a tree nearby. Both bodies jolted forward, her head slamming with the front seat while his head slammed against the steering wheel.

Another scream erupted from her mouth as the car's front caught on fire. The bright orange reflecting on her dark blue eyes. The world seemed to spin around her and all she saw was fire.

Two.

"Happy!" A metal arm smashed the driver's side window and grabbed a merely conscious Happy by the throat. "Happy!" The girl cried out as the man opened the door and pulled Happy out of the car. His knees dropped to the ground as he gasped. The man's flesh hand yanked Happy by the hair.

Three.

Metal hit against flesh. Once. Twice. Tears dripped down her soft cheeks and muffled sobs escaped her mouth as the man dressed in black repeatedly punched Happy on the face. Her blurry sight tried to find the phone her dad had given her, her shaking hands desperately roamed through the belongings inside her suitcase. She grasped the phone and called her dad. Ring. Ring. Ring. But his voice never came.

Four.

Breathing heavily, she got out of the burning car with her pale hands balled up into fists. Her jaw was clenched and the tears kept on falling from her scared eyes.

"Stop! Please, stop." She pleaded.

Happy glanced at her in a mix of worry and horror. "D-don't touch her." He grunted as the man punched him again. "P-please, don't." The man's cold eyes stared at her.

Five.

Another punch and Happy fell unconscious. "Happy!" She was sobbing uncontrollably by now.

The metal armed man whirled to look at her. Her eyes widened and she gasped. She turned around and ran as fast as her trembling legs could carry her. However, she didn't stand a chance against the tall man and he grabbed her by the arm. She hissed in pain as the metal squeezed hardly. "Stop! Stop!" The dim street light reflected on her teary eyes, making them look like crystals. "Please, let me go."