Chapter Twenty-Seven (Tara)

Of course, that Queen had placed the seal there. She probably had not noticed until much later. Perhaps not until after she attacked my people, Tara thought as she surveyed the seal. It was covering the gates, behind which lead the path to where one of the items for the spell was hidden. It had taken years to locate. She had not expected it to be hidden in some of the multiverse's oldest ruins. People hardly ever visited this place. It was considered forgotten.

There was no doubt it was filled with traps.

Tara crossed her arms, thinking. Depending on the number of traps within the ruins, actually getting to the item could take days. Weeks even. Worst case scenario would be an entire year. That Queen could be difficult to deal with. She let out a frustrated cry. She had not come this far to, well, only come this far. She jumped in annoyance, beginning to punch the seal. A surge of power blew her back. She landed on her spine with a loud thump.

The Terpolite woman turned out the sound of muffled laughter. She singled out the man who had done it. She crooked a finger. He came towards her. She commanded him to use his power to open the seal. The laughing stopped, but the man did as he was asked. As soon as his power touched the seal, he screamed. His skin was alight in a matter of seconds. The first trap. No one made any move to put out the flames. Their leader had not requested it, so they had ignored the man's pleas for helps. Once the screaming stop, the man fell dead. Tara only wrinkled her nose in disgust at the man's remains.

She turned back to the seal, a small sense of delight appearing at the small crack. She called for more of her soldiers to use their power against it. None came willingly. She commanded Kek and Liam to bring more forward. So, they did. Each time one used their power on the seal, they would suffer the same fate as the first man. Tara did not care as more cracks appeared. After at least twenty of her followers lay burnt on the ground – gods, that stench is horrid – there were enough cracks for the seal to break after Tara landed a single non-magic punch on it. She whooped in joy, pushing the gates open.

She went to take a step into the narrow hallway that followed but stopped at the last second. It was probably also filled with traps and she was not keen to test that theory herself. She hummed in thought before snapping her fingers. A man came to her side. She stepped back, allowing for him to go first with a mock bow. He wandered cautiously down the hallway, making it five metres before a blade came out of the wall. The man must have heard the mechanical whirring that came from the rusted blade. He ducked, the blade missing his head by only a few inches.

Seeing it was safe until that point, Tara followed. She went up to the blade and snapped it off its hinges, clicking her tongue at the sound of a second blade and a wet thump. She broke the next blade and bent down to the man's head which was now laying away from its body. "How unlucky for you." She was almost laughing at his misfortune as she called forth another from the crowd. The pattern was repeated.

As they continued down the hallway, carvings began to appear on the walls. The were of how the spell was to be performed. It was in that moment that Tara realised that Queen had not been the one to create the spell. The carvings here were very old. She could only guess that they were from the time of the first Photon Queen and Dark King, though those records had been shaky at best. Only so much remained from the time millions of years ago, though there were a few accounts of the spell used to seal one in Negative Space being performed. It was possible, however, that the spell was even older than that.

Tara was filled with wonder at the idea. Wonder was quickly replaced by fear. If that woman is doing spells this old and this powerful by accident, how hasn't she destroyed the multiverse? She cringed at the thought. If that Queen could do a spell like this out of anger, she could only hope her King was as powerful as records claimed. Maybe more powerful. No one really knew the true extent of power the Silent Core had. The last five thousand years and the loss of its wielder had not made research easy. Tara shook her head, the though fading. There was no time for doubts now. Not when they were so close.