Chapter Eight (Colt)

The ten arrived in a shamrock forest. It was filled with many thriving trees and bushes. The emerald grass was covered in various types of flowers in many different colours. A rushing sapphire stream ran past their feet, heading further into the forest. The sound of a distant waterfall could be heard from behind. In front of them was a small house, hidden between two large trees. It blended in so well that Colt had to strain his eyes to see it properly. It looked just as he remembered from the outside, its polished wooden doors shining in the shaded light.

Amneris took one step towards the house and collapsed. Colt caught her just before she fell into the stream. He looked at the faces of the other eight who did not seem at all surprised. Leo took her out of Colt's arms and into his own, carrying her to the house with Nikki, Hathor, and Kayla flanking him. The others went ahead while Carmin and Dan stayed behind. Dan gestured for Colt to go first. At least now I know where I stand. Kayla pushed the door open, entering quickly with Leo just behind her.

The hallway Colt entered soon after was painted wine-and-lavender with a maroon carpet throughout, stopping just before a set of stairs leading to an upper level of the house. Kayla and Leo went up there. Colt assumed that was where the rooms were. There were many midnight blue doors lining the walls downstairs and possibly more upstairs. An open door led into an ebony-painted kitchen/lounge room. It had many swirling moonlight coloured patterns as well as amethysts, obsidian stones, and sapphires embedded to fit into the patterns. A large window was on one wall, violet curtains closed over it. A chocolate-honey low-lying table was placed in the centre of one half of the room, surrounded by a cluster of midnight blue lounged.

Jay, Carmin, and Dan collapsed on the lounges. Nikki and Hathor made their way into a large graphite kitchen in the other end of the room. It seemed large enough to fit ten people in, possibly more. Zoe opened the curtains, allowing for golden sunlight to fill the room before flopping onto one of the lounges, kicking her feet onto Carmin's lap.

Kayla came into the room, stretching her arms above her head. "Amnsy is fine. Gone of with Leo to do something apparently important." She gave them all a helpless shrug.

"I swear that girl does not know the definition of 'rest'," Jay muttered, shaking his head.

Hathor came over, a mug between her hands which she gave to Kayla. "That's my mother for you. She's always ready to jump into action and save the world."

Colt felt lightheaded suddenly, sitting down. "Your mother?" How is that even possible?

The girl nodded. "Amneris is my mother and this is her house." She gestured around the room. "We love her most of the time and sometimes in our other city dwellings. There are a few spare rooms for when visitors such as yourself stay."

"Are allowed to stay," Dan said under his breath.

Kayla – who had just given the mug back to Hathor – fell next to Jay. "Or when we gain Court members. They live with us. Obviously." She laughed a little.

Nikki – who had just materialised in the room without anyone realising – hauled Colt to his feet and pushed him out of the room, down the hall, to one of the spare rooms. She pushed open the door. Colt could not help but be impressed. The room itself was massive. The walls were mulberry coloured with various rubies and garnets embedded into them. A few tortilla lights were placed along the top of the walls at regular intervals, each one giving off a warm glow. A soft-looking rosewood carpet covered the entire length of the floor. There was a large, caramel walk-in-closet close to a massive window at the end of the room, sangria curtains tied at each end. A massive ginger bed was in the centre of the room with clay drawer sets on either side of it. A bronze desk with many smaller drawers was closer to the second door in the room which led into the ensuite. It reminded him a bit of his room on Terpola. The bedroom was too big to fit inside the small space between the doors outside.