Chapter Nine (Amneris)

Amneris woke up in her bed, Kayla and Leo looking down at her. She took one look at their expressions and knew she was in some sort of trouble. The last thing she remembered was zapping her Court to the forest on the edge of Lapide. Now she was in her obsidian-painted room, the silver lights glowing softly, and had her Healer and General glaring intensely at her. It was the look she was given often, especially after bailing members of her Court out of trouble. She knew that she gave them the same look on occasion.

Amneris attempted to sit up only for Leo to push her down, holding her in place as Kayla held her glowing hands over the sheets. A faint tingle went over Amneris' body as Kayla worked her magic. When Amneris sat up after she finished, she was allowed to stay that way though Leo's fury showed no signs of vanishing. It took a lot of self-control to not slap her General. Sure, he probably had her best interests in mind, but she was still the Queen. Did I actually just consider pulling rank on him? A sidelong glance at Kayla. Maybe I need a bit more than what she gave me, after all.

"Amneris and I have to do something important," Leo told the Healer who took that as her cue to leave. Once she had, Leo raised a hand to stop Amneris speaking so he could go on his rant. Well, it certainly sounded like a rant. "I know you are reckless and insane, but even you should have known that was a bad decision. You haven't used your power in sixteen years." He leaned down until their heads almost touched. "What in the multiverse were you thinking?"

"I was thinking of getting my Court out of danger," she countered, forcing him back. "I was thinking of escaping before one of us was taken prisoner by a Terpolite warrior. Again." That last word was what made her give a pointed look to her General who had been one of those taken. She did not remind him often of what had happened when he had made that decision, but it was certainly a good way to win an argument.

"You should have let me do it," Leo hissed. "For all we know, you could have fallen into another power coma."

Point taken. Amneris looked down to her still-glowing hands. What he had said was true. She had fallen into a coma for a few months the last time a large amount of her power was used. Nikki and Leo had been the ones to look after things while she was asleep. From what she was told after waking up, Terpola had found out she was comatose and become out of control, even for the dark planet. That was something none of her Court wanted to go through again. It had been utter chaos until she woke up, causing the Terpolite warriors to retreat. Her General had become more concerned over her using her power after that.

She studied Leo before speaking, choosing her words carefully. The General was well known for his temper, though he did not lose it often. "We can finish this later," she started. "Right now, we have to go to Erstonia and get Linlyn before Tara does."

He raised a hand to his head. "You won't even rest for five minutes, will you?"

Amneris cocked her head to the side, a small smile appearing. "What's rest?"

Leo rolled his eyes but gave in. "Do not use magic unless you have to and please – please don't start another war."

She made an irritated noise at the accusation. "It wasn't a war. It was a fight that lasted a few days." She groaned as his eyes narrowed. "Just take us to the gods dammed planet."

* * * * * * * *

Erstonia was one of the brightest planets Amneris new of. Due to the fact it was the homeworld of the Light-Benders, it was hardly surprising that the planet was always, well, bright. Everything seemed to glow, especially at night. It did not matter if it was a small flower or the houses of the gemstone towns. The glow was a lot let obvious in sunlight, but it was still there.