Chapter Eleven (Amneris/Colt)

Amneris POV

Amneris tossed the golden box between her hands as her Court remained quiet. She raised an eyebrow at their silence after a few minutes, taking her feet off the table, holding the box in one hand, and leaning forward. "Really?" she asked. "You're that surprised at this?"

"Well, yeah," Zoe said.

"You were the ones who hid the items," Jay agreed.

Leo stopped the argument before it could begin. "We need to get the rest of the items before Tara does. She will be able to release the Dark King if that happens."

Nikki pushed her fist into her palm. "We can't let that happen."

Kayla jumped into the conversation suddenly. "We can't go after the items yet!" Everyone stared at the Healer as she raised her hands in defence. "If we do anymore missions this soon, there will be consequences. Especially for you." This last part was directed towards Amneris whose eyes glowed in frustration.

"I'm with Kayla," Dan agreed. "We can rest while we figure out where the items are."

I know exactly where they are, Amneris thought to herself. But I can't tell them. She suddenly hated herself for placing that spell on those who knew the location of the items. She and her old Court could not say a word on the matter, physically or mentally. They could not even write it down. The others knew this, but she doubted they understood her frustration on the matter.

"Besides," Carmin was saying. "We have a plan for tonight remember?"

Amneris raised her head and blinked rapidly. "Say what?"

Hathor wrapped her arms around her mother. "You didn't think you were getting out of it that easy, did you?" She poked her arm. "The end of the world is no excuse to not celebrate your birthday."

"Seriously, guys, it's not that important anymore," Amneris told them all with an embarrassed smile.

Nikki pulled her to her feet. "You are now five-thousand and nineteen. That's a very long time to live –"

"I died at fourteen –"

"So, there is no excuse to not party tonight and figure out what to do tomorrow. A break will help us all think better." With that, she and the rest of the women in the Court dragged a protesting Amneris down the hall to pick out what they were all going to wear while out.

* * * * * * * *

Amneris and Colt zapped to the balcony on the Palace in Lapide. It was a large pearl-coloured palace carved into a granite cliff. From the front, there seemed to be only four levels, each with its own balcony. The Palace actually had more levels. They were hidden inside the cliff. The pair were standing on the fourth level's balcony which overlooked the ocean on the edge of Lapide. The city glowed in the moonlight. It was made up of large buildings, town houses, and shopping centres. At the far end, near the hills to the east, was the Academy. A river cut through the middle of the snow-white city. Orbs of light floated on the ocean from boats bringing goods from the rest of the planet's continents.

"There are six main cities," Amneris explained to her guest. "This one is Lapide, the City of Light." She smiled gently. "It's my personal favourite and the one I spend most of my time in. That's not just because of the palace. I've been living just outside this city for as long as I can remember."

"It is beautiful," Colt said in awe.

"There's five other main cities on this world." She counted them off on her fingers. "Kiloqua, the City of Darkness. Voliabyi, the Lava Falls. Iraliya, the Sky Kingdom. Subreai, the Hidden Ruins. Ariuma, the Water Land." Colt nodded as she spoke. "Each of the cities are connected in one way or another."