Ch. 15

Thursday afternoon, every Pendergast student was in the gym for an assembly. Principal Boswell stood on center court, looking at the students sitting in the bleachers.

"Good afternoon, Sharks!" Boswell said with enthusiasm.

The students erupted with cheers.

"As you know, the biggest football game of the season is a day away," Boswell continued. "And then Saturday night is the homecoming dance. At the dance, you will choose between four different couples to be king and queen."

"JAKE! JAKE! JAKE!" the students chanted.

"First up is our prep couple, Ricky Johnson and Erica Blackwell."

Erica and Ricky walked across the court, smiling happily at the other students.

"Next up, our band couple, Andre Crawford and Sophie Sanders."

Sophie and Andre looked at each other as they walked across the court.

"Of course, we have our jock couple, Troy Taylor and Trina Crawford."

Trina and Troy walked beside each other, Trina locking her arm around Troy's.

"And finally, our power couple. They are what you say... 'relationship goals'. Nick Nova and Jake Arnette."

Jake and Nick walked across the court, the school erupted with cheers, chanting Jake's name.

"I think the school likes you," Nick said.

"Everyone loves a good Boy Scout," Jake replied.

Jake chuckled as he held Nick's hand, giving him a kiss on the cheek; the crowd erupted with even louder cheers.

"Say hello to your homecoming court!" Boswell broadcasted.

The crowd erupted in cheers, clapping their hands and stomping their feet.

Later that evening, Ricky and Erica were sitting in Erica's living room, watching television.

"Do you think we have a chance of being king and queen?" Ricky asked.

"I think we do," Erica answered. "But you do know who everyone is gonna vote for, right?"

"Jake and Nick... To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they win, and... I wouldn't care. All I wanna do is spend homecoming with you."

"So sweet..."

Erica nuzzled up to Ricky, making each other smile as they continue to watch television.

Meanwhile, at Trina's house, Trina was holding two different colored dresses up to her as she looked in the mirror. Troy was sitting on Trina's bed, scrolling through the internet.

"Troy, which dress do you think would help me win homecoming queen?" Trina asked.

"Does it matter who wins?" Troy asked.

"Of course, it does! This is gonna be my moment!"

"Your moment? No matter what you wear, everyone is gonna vote for Nick and Jakey for homecoming kings."

"Which is why I have to do whatever I have to do to win. I want that crown!"

"A crown is just a crown. It doesn't mean your queen of the school. And I was the one who signed them up for homecoming kings."

"You did what?!" Trina angrily asked.

"Yep, you heard me," Troy responded.

"It's okay... it's okay..."

"Calm your ass down, would you? Look, I gotta go. I need my rest for the game. See ya."

Troy left and headed home, leaving Trina in an angry state as she continued to debate on her homecoming dress. As Troy walked downstairs, he saw Andre and Sophie eating sandwiches in the kitchen, watching Netflix on a laptop.

"Why are you two watching Netflix in here instead of the living room?" he asked.

"Hm... I dunno," Sophie answered.

"We were just lazy, I guess," Andre added.

"Anyway, I need to talk to you, Sophie," Troy said. "I've been looking online for anything we can use to get rid of Becky."

"What did you find?" Sophie asked.

"She worked for very large and popular companies, like Adidas and YouTube. I looked at their net worth over time, and I saw sudden declines of income. I contacted the companies she worked for, and they said that they never had any money problems until after they hired Becky. When she left each company, everything went to how they were before she joined."

"You think that Becky have been involved with money laundering?" Andre asked.

"It's a possibility, but we would need proof."

"Then the best way to get proof is to bring the closest person to her into the equation," Sophie replied. "Call Jake and ask him if he would help."

"I'll ask him at school in the morning."

Meanwhile, in their room, Jake and Nick were cuddling with each other.

"I believe that we're gonna win the crowns at homecoming," Jake said.

"I would look good with any kinda bling... even if it's fake as hell," Nick replied.

"You're too much!"

Jake chuckled. Nick put his index and middle fingers on Jake's chin, tilting it up. He pressed his lips on Jake's, who returned the tender kiss.

"Jake," Nick said quietly. "I'm in lo-"

"Boys," Clair opened the door. "I have bad news. Gerald was arrested for a crime he didn't commit. And Officer Bishop was the one who locked him up."

"Becky's know I'm with you, so she's using Gerald to get to us," Jake replied.

"I'm getting sick and tired of that bitch!" Nick raged. "When I see that bitch, I'm busting caps in her head!"

"I don't think we should kill her. I think we should get her back in a way that doesn't involve someone behind bars."

"But-"

"No buts."

"Fine, you win. I won't kill her, but if she try to hurt you, I'll shoot her."

"I'm gonna go visit him in the morning," Clair said.

"We'll come too," Jake suggested.

"He's my godfather, I should go," Nick replied. "You'll be fine while I'm gone. You got Troy."

"Well, okay... but if you see Becky, try not to lose your temper."

"I won't, promise."

Jake gave Nick a kiss, cupping Nick's face in his hands. Nick smiled genuinely, tapping Jake's nose, making him smile.

The next day, after second period, Jake was walking out of the bathroom, when he was encountered by Troy.

"Hey, Jakey," Troy said. "Wanna do another heist with me?"

"What are we doing?" Jake asked.

"Breaking into your old house."

"Becky's house? Why?"

"I think she's involved with money laundering, and if we can get proof of that along with how she treated you, we can get her locked up."

"Speaking of 'locked up', Becky arrested Nick's godfather last night for a crime he didn't commit. I'm tired of being a victim. I'm in."

"Great! How about we do it before the dance?"

"She's gonna be at work all weekend, so we should be able to get in without bumping into her."

"Great... See ya later," Troy began to jog away. "And good luck at halftime!"

Jake waved at Troy and walked off to class.