Ch. 11

On Monday, Nick was at his locker and quickly shoved something in his backpack. Jake walked over and saw him, seeing the item he shoved.

"Nick, you brought the gun?" Jake asked.

Trina walked around the corner and saw Jake and Nick talking, listening intently to their conversation.

"Bae, relax," Nick replied. "I talked to Boswell, and he understands the situation. I'm not gonna let that 'psychotic, hateful bitch' get to you."

"And this is why you're my boyfriend," Jake replied.

"I knew it!" Trina whispered.

"Yeah, still getting used to the title," Nick said.

"It's different for me too. This is each other's first relationship," Jake replied.

"Yeah, and I promise to be the bigger person... starting off with hiding my new toy from the rest of the school. Erica, Troy, and Sophie know what it is, so they'll help us keep is secret."

"Sophie knows what going on? And she didn't tell me?" Trina quietly asked herself.

"Yeah, we better get to class," Jake said.

Nick closed his locker and walked down the hallway with Jake, their arms linked together. Trina went to class and saw Sophie drawing in her notebook, approaching her.

"Tell me what happened over the weekend," she said.

"I got a tattoo of a butterfly on my rib," Sophie showed her tattoo.

"That's a great tattoo, but not what I wanted to hear. Mind telling me when Jake and Nick became official? Or what Nick's new toy is?"

"What are you-?"

"I overheard them and they said you and their friends know about Nick's new toy. What is it?"

"New toy? I didn't know Nick still played with toys. Very childish if you ask-"

"Stop dodging the question!" Trina got mad. "Just tell me what happened!"

"It's not my business to tell, Trina," Sophie replied.

"It haven't been your business before!"

"And? Your obsession with Jake have gotten outta control. But since you wanna know so bad, Jake's abusive foster mother, who happens to be a cop, tried to take him Saturday. Nick stole her gun, and he's gonna use it to protect Jake. That what happened this weekend."

"Wait, abusive foster mother? Is that why Jake is staying with Nick?"

"Yes! Everything Nick did for Jake was because he was trying to be a good friend. It's just a coincidence that they ended up dating. Stop assuming stuff, Trina!"

"Whatever."

Trina sat down in the seat in front of Sophie, blowing off steam.

Later, during free period, Jake was called to Principal Boswell's office.

"Jake, I have a proposition for you," Boswell said.

"Yes?" Jake asked.

"As you may be aware of, our homecoming game is coming up in a few weeks. And from a video of you from Friday night at a party, you have an amazing singing voice. I want you to sing at halftime."

"Really?"

"Yeah. The band said they will collaborate with you on a song. And lots of college scouts attend our homecoming games. You might be recruited on a music scholarship. So you're in?"