1

(Please read this part

(Please read this part.)

So for those who know and don't know, I've combined this and the second chapter into one and changed up a few things. I am still editing the chapters so if it looks wonky, it is. I'm fixing it. But enjoy anyway!!!

It was hot—too hot, as the sun beat down on her skin and the rubber foldable chair she was sitting on clung to her skin. What she would give for an ice-cold glass of tea and air conditioning. Carelessly flipping another page of some outdated magazine she found stashed away in the old man's RV. The pages were yellowed and musty, filled with outdated fashion trends and advertisements from decades past. All she saw were boring pictures and boring words—nothing good enough to hold her attention.

In the early days of the end, she thought maybe they would have made a cure for the virus by now. Put an end to this whole thing of gore and death that followed them around like starving vultures. But three weeks had gone by and the broadcasts had stopped; there wasn't any sign of things getting better for them. They all tried to move on, living life in the camp as if nothing had changed. She might have really believed that if Glenn did not come back from his runs in the city, he would tell her all the horrors he had seen every time. She thought he might have been telling her all those things to cope, but she didn't mind.

A tall, lengthy woman with brown hair strolled by carrying an empty red bucket. Julia smiled with a knowing grin as she flipped another page.

"Hey Lori, where you going?" She mused with a cocky expression. Lori turned to her with a bright red face, rolling her eyes before replying, "Just heading to the forest to fetch some mushrooms. Need anything while I'm there?" Julia shook her head, still grinning, returning her attention to her book as Lori continued on her way.

"Carl?" Julia asked.

"Dale is watching him." Lori yelled over her shoulder.

Mushrooms? Yeah right. Julia thought to herself, knowing that was definitely not what she was going to do. Julia watched Lori disappear into the trees, feeling a sense of amusement at her friend's attempt to deceive her. She couldn't wait to see if Lori actually came back with any.

The small cry of a baby erupted from her tent. The cry grew louder and more urgent, a combination of hunger and discomfort. She sighed, hurriedly folding the magazine and setting it aside. She pushed herself off of the chair and turned to her tent, then carefully unzipped the flap and stepped into the cramped tent. A big grin grew on her face and she reached down to see over the edge of the foldable crib she had put up in her tent.

She lifted her son out of his crib, feeling his tiny hand reach out for her. The tiny weight of his body against her heartfelt delicate as she held him close to her. She began gently rocking him back and forth in her arms, whispering soothing words to him, and felt a calm rush overtake her. She reached down slowly, grabbing his blanket and stuffy elephant, and carried him outside.