Chapter 25: Council Meeting

"Would you look at this!" Sarah pointed out excitedly, "It's a flower!"

"My, my isn't that just special!" Melissa agreed, "It must be spring time already."

"That's a good thing!" Sarah said, "It was cold during the winter, I'm happy that it's going to start warming up. I hate the cold!"

"I don't think any of us do," Melissa stated, "How about I go grab you your jacket? It may be spring, but it's still chilly. You need to keep warm."

Melissa started walking towards the bags. She grabbed a jacket from out of one, and went back to Sarah. On her way back she got stopped by Nathan.

"Are you taking that to Sarah?" He asked.

"Yes, I am," Melissa answered, "I don't want her to get sick, it's the last thing that we need."

"Thank-you," Nathan said, putting his arm on Melissa's shoulder, "You have been a big help since we found you in the street a couple of months ago. Ben made a good choice when he tried to save you. I only wish we could have helped him as well."

"It is very unfortunate what happened to him. I only wish that he could still be here today," Melissa stated as she looked down, "I almost wish he didn't try and save me, because I can't help but feeling like I was the reason he died."

"Don't concern yourself with that, Melissa. He did it for you. He wanted to save you. And we should be proud of his sacrifice, not look back on it with regret," Nathan said.

"Ya. I know. It's just that..." Melissa started.

"I know it's hard, but don't worry. He is in a better place now."

"How is being inside the gut of a walker, a better place?" Melissa asked as she pushed Nathan's arm off of her shoulder. She rushed over to Sarah and handed the jacket to her then walked away. Nathan walked away as well, with his hand pressed against his forehead, wondering what he did wrong. He walked over to the tables and sat down, with his head still in his hands.

"You still having troubles trying to pick up that girl, old man?" Jessica asked as she walked towards the table.

"What? No that's not how it is at all! I was just trying to make her feel like she belonged in the group. She hasn't quite got over the incident with Ben yet."

"Oh, she will get over it. She just has to toughen up a bit," Jessica stated.

"Yes. Cause you lose all emotions once you have killed a few men!" Nathan joked.

"Well, of course! How do you think I got so tough? Definetly wasn't from being a pussy and hiding behind a man all day."

"Ha! Ha! I know," Nathan laughed, "You've been through alot. And that is why, when we have to make big decisions, you are always part of the decision making. As well as Ray, and Martin, since us four are  the most experienced out of the group."

"Which always makes me wonder why you haven't tried flirting with me yet?" Jessica teased.

"If you wanted me to, I might," Nathan joked, "I just always assumed that you weren't willing to be in a relationship, considering your past."

"Ya," Jessica said silently, as she thought  about Jordan. She quickly snapped out of it and tried to change the topic, "I wouldn't want your old ass any way!"

She walked away, purposely exaggerating her movements, trying to tease Nathan. He wasn't paying attention though for Ray had walked up to the table and sat down. He pulled out a map, spread it out on the table, and started talking with Nathan.

"So we have scoured almost everywhere around here for supplies, and we are almost out of supplies ourselves," Ray stated pointing out all of the locations around the map, "I think we might have to relocate soon."