Chapter 6: Broken Promises

“We’ve been trekking through these mountains for weeks and we still haven’t found any towns or cities”, Randi complained as she climbed over a rock. It had been a month since they left the school and their hopes of making it out of the mountains alive were growing slim. They were running low on food and were getting next to no sleep. It was also cold, considering it was late November. But out of anybody in the group, Pablo was in the worst condition. He didn’t eat any food for the first week after his dad died and he cried himself to sleep every night. Life was different without William around. The group seemed empty, like they were missing something. They tried to let it go, but it was proving to be a harder task then they thought.

“Don’t complain”, Raymond said, “We could’ve in that sewer just like...” He stopped himself from saying the rest. He could see that Pablo was already starting to tear up. Ray walked over to him and put his arm around his shoulder. He said, “Don’t worry Pablo. Your dad is in a better place now.”

“Look!” Jayme exclaimed as she got to the top of a cliff, “It’s a town!” They hadn’t seen a town in weeks so this was something they could get excited about. They ran down the mountainside towards the town. As they are going down the hill they saw rusty ski-lifts and broken skis. When they got to the bottom of the mountain they saw a sign that read, “Welcome to Whistler Blackcomb Ski Resort”.

“Oh it’s Whistler!” Jayme excitedly stated, “I used to always come to Whistler when I was younger.”

“I didn’t know you ski”, Martin commented, “I used to be a pretty good skier myself back in the day.”

“I used to ski and snowboard. I prefer skiing, but both of them are fun. I wish I could go skiing again”, Jayme stated.

“Maybe me and you can go skiing one day when we get everything sorted out”, Raymond suggested as they walked into the resort.

“Me and Ray were planning on getting married here, before all of this shit happened.”

“I remember that. Raymond proposed to you on our road trip!” Jessica stated.

“I wish we could’ve carried on with our wedding plans”, Jayme said as she looked at her engagement ring.

“As long as we are together everything will be just fine”, Raymond stated before he kissed Jayme on the nose. Pablo saw this and scrunched his nose in disgust.

“That’s gross!” He stated as he turned away.

“I know right!” Josh joked, “You should have seen them in high school.”

“Ha! You should have seen me in high school! I had girls crawling all over my...” Martin started saying before Randi interrupted him,

“That’s enough! We don’t need to tell everybody about our love lives!”

“But what if our love lives are interesting”, Jessica said after her and Jordan kissed.

“No I agree with Randi! This is a bit awkward...” Josh agreed

“Okay we’ll stop”, Jessica said, still snuggling up against Jordan.

“How about we go into that building?” Martin said as he walked towards a lodge. The group walked into the lodge. When they got inside they saw a group of people huddled around a table. The people stopped what they were doing and looked at the group. They took out their guns and pointed them at the group. A blond man stepped away from the group and said,

“Who the hell are you?”

The group stayed silent for a bit then Martin answered, “We are just a group of survivors, just like you. We don’t mean any harm. We’ve been in the mountains for a month now and we are running out of food and we just need somewhere to rest.”