Chapter 5

Clayton Reid POV

I didn't feel prepared to read Stella's files while at the office, but once I'm back to my apartment I make my way to my home study and sit at my desk before pulling the files out and read them.

I spent the last hour reading through everything Axel found. Stella's dad, Roman Garbor, had been in a gang when he was a teenager and got busted by police for assault, grand theft auto, and tagging while he was a minor. Once he reached adulthood he got busted for property damage, assault, and possession of child pornography. I felt disgusted. The cops had been called for his abuse quite a few times before Stella was taken into state custody. Reading the teachers report that got Stella taken into state custody made me so angry. According to the teachers report, which was included in the files, Stella's ribs were poking through her skin, she had bruises around her stomach, handprints around her arms and thighs, and a bruised cheek. I wanted to hurt anyone that laid a finger on a child.

Stella's mom Scarlett is a known addict. She'd been to rehab three times but is still seen taking and selling heroine. Scarlett has multiple boyfriends despite being married, and a separate bank account where she moves her husbands money the day he gets paid. She has charges for identity theft, possession of illegal substances, illegal distribution, prostitution, child endangerment, child abuse, and public indecency.

The woman's got so many charges, it's fucking disgusting. My blood boils as I read the reports that Stella made when she first got placed in state custody, she said she was only aloud to eat when nobody was around and only enough that nobody would notice it missing, she had to clean every room in the house besides her mothers bathroom where she wasn't allowed, and often wasn't allowed out of her room if her bruises were noticeable. There was more but I couldn't bare to read it. I threw the files down with anger and walked through the hall to my home gym and started unbuttoning my shirt. I walked up to the punching bag and started punching it as hard as I could. I felt the anger slowly leaving my body with each punch. I felt blood dripping down my knuckles from the rough impact on the punching bag without the proper gloves. 

Just as I started calming down, there was a soft knock on the open door and Axel walks in holding another file.

"This is today's report on Miss Garbor." Axel says extending the file towards me.

I grab a towel from the rack on the wall behind the punching bag and wipe the sweat droplets off my neck before taking the file and Axel walks out, leaving me alone.

I sit on the bench in the middle of the room and open the file. There are pictures of her at school, on the bus, and walking home with a group of kids.

Seeing her face unharmed quickly calmed my heart and mind.

Knowing she's okay I'm able to make my way to my bedroom and get in the shower. 

I rinse off the sweat from my spontaneous workout and think about what I'm gonna do to protect Stella.

I'd started forming a good plan when I turn off the water and grab a towel from the towel rack. I slip on blue striped pajama pants and stay shirtless. I walk to my office and sit at my desk. After thinking for awhile, I finally look at the clock and realize just how late it is, but forming a plan to get Stella is more important than sleep. 

◇─◇──◇─────◇──◇─◇

I didn't realize I'd worked all night until my head maid, Janessa, comes in with my breakfast.

"Sir, have you been working all night?" She asks setting the plate on the desk next to me.

"Yes Janessa. I have to get this done for my own peace of mind." I say as I grab the mug of coffee out of her hand and take a sip.

"Is there anything I can do to help sir?" She asks.

"Not yet, but I will have a job for you in the future." I say with a small smile.

She nods before exiting my office.

I eat my breakfast and finish off the last details of my plan and then head back to my room to get dressed in my usual suit. 

◇─◇──◇─────◇──◇─◇

Stella Garbor POV

I woke up to my alarm but didn't feel rested at all. I spent the whole night tossing and turning and didn't stay asleep the whole night. 

Regardless of my lack of sleep, I wake up and get ready for school. 

Once I'm dressed in black high-waisted jeans that are worn after years of wearing, gray long-sleeved crop top, and my usual white converse which are stained a grey-brown from their years of duty, I grab my backpack and make my way downstairs for breakfast.

I walked into the kitchen but stopped in my tracks when I saw pancakes, waffles, assorted fruits, different cereals, and eggs all presented on nice plates.

What the fuck? I thought as I slowly stepped further into the kitchen wondering if I was allowed in here.

"Help yourself to anything." Logan says as he walks in behind me. He stops behind me and places his hand on my lower back. I shift uncomfortably under his touch and wonder where the hell everybody was. I try to back away but Logan pulls me closer to him, "You're very pretty, you know that?"

"Uhh," I stammer. I try again to push him off of me but he just seems to get closer.

He leans his head down to try and kiss me but is thrown back into the counter and Lukas ends up in front of me.

"That doesn't look like proper DHS behavior." Lukas says.

Logan huffs and starts to step closer but Maggie walks in and he backs away.

I grab some eggs and fruit and quickly eat them before I walk out the door with Lukas following behind me. 

"Thank you Lukas. I don't know what I would've or what Logan would've done if you hadn't stepped in, so thank you it really means a lot." I said sparing a few glances at him but mostly looking at my hands.

He stops and I stop too, making eye contact with him. "Stella," He starts and places a hand on my forearm. "Girls get taken advantage of too much. Especially pretty girls like you. I don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I knew someone was in trouble and didn't do anything."

His response was unexpected, "Thank you Lukas."

"I know we don't usually talk Stella, but I always thought you were beautiful."

"Thank you, Lukas." I say as I brush a loose piece of hair behind my ear.

He grabs my hand and gives it a gentle squeeze and I shy away from making eye contact before Haley comes outside slamming the door behind her.

"Let's go before we miss the bus." Haley says with a glare.

Lukas walks away. 

What's her problem? I thought before shrugging it off and walking towards the bus stop.