Chapter 20

Stella POV

We spend hours going through potential tutors and by lunchtime I'm sick of reading resumes. If this is what Mr. Reid does all day then his job seems very boring.

I let out a big sigh and Maryanne looks at me, "So, did you feel you connected with anyone?" She says laying her hands in her lap.

I think back on all the people I met today and a man did stick out to me.

"Yeah actually, one did." I start sifting through all the applications until I see his picture and hand the file over to Maryanne.

Maryanne looks it over for a second before nodding, "Alright I'll reach out to him and we can do a test session."

I smile at her in response as she leaves the room.

I'm left alone in the interview room and I lay my head on the table and close my eyes. I didn't realize how tired I was until this moment. I feel sleep start to overcome me and as much as I want to stay awake, I fall asleep.

A door slamming jolts me awake and my mind instantly looks for any kind of threat. I look all around the room only to see Clayton standing, looking at me. His gaze is intimidating and I can't see any emotion behind his eyes.

My breathing is shaky and faster then normal and I slowly breathe in to try and subtly get it back to normal.

"Clayton?" I ask him once the silence feels suffocating.

"Stella." Is all he says in return.

"I-Is everything okay?" I ask him.

"Yes Stella, nothing to worry your pretty little head about. Were you sleeping?"

"Uh yeah, I didn't mean to fall asleep it just, happened." I explain.

He moves to take the seat beside me and I just watch him as he unbuttons his suit jacket to sit more comfortably.

"Did you not sleep well last night?" He asks.

"No, no I slept really good actually." I assure him.

"Do you not feel well?"

"No I feel fine." I say with a small smile.

"What's wrong?"

"It's just, uh, a lot of talking to day. Kinda just drained me." I tell him.

"Well if you're still tired I have a couch you can sleep on, it's much more comfortable then this table." He says with a chuckle.

"Ah no, I wasn't supposed to be sleeping in the first place. Besides I'm sure there's something I could be helping Maryanne with."

"If you're tired then take a nap, don't push yourself to do anything. You are important, so taking care of your needs should be your #1 priority." He says, his eyes burning into mine and starting a fire within me.

"Okay, if you say so. I could use a nap."

"Come with me." He reaches his hand out for me to take, so I do. He takes me out of the room, still holding onto my hand and all I can think of is how small my hand is in his. People glance as we walk by and I feel my cheeks burn from the unwanted attention. He leads us down the hallway towards his office and he holds the door open for me as I walk through.

He gestures to the couch and I make my way over to it and sit myself on the soft sofa. Clayton comes over to me with a blanket and motions for me to lay down. I rest my head on the couch and take note of how comfortable it is and Clayton places the blanket over me. He crouches down to be level with me.

"I'll be at my desk but I'll be quiet, you're welcome to sleep here however long you want. If you need anything just let me know, I'll be happy to get it." He says.

I nod. "Thank you Clayton, you're a really good boss." A yawn escapes my lips and Clayton rubs my shoulder before getting up and retreating to his desk. My eyes close once again and I let myself fall asleep.

◇─◇──◇─────◇──◇─◇

Clayton POV

I haven't taken my eyes off the back of the couch that holds Stella. It all feels so surreal. When I saw her that day running to the bus I felt a pull. I'd heard stories about seeing a person and seeing the rest of their lives looking back at them, someone who would love them unconditionally until the end of time, someone who they can raise kids with, someone to laugh endlessly with. I didn't believe those silly stories until that day. There are no words that can ever describe the way my heart lit up that day, and it's been beating for her ever since.

The door to my office slams open and I'm ripped from my thoughts. I stand from my desk, my mood suddenly sour over the noise that might've woken the sleeping girl.

"Your secretary said you're not to be disturbed, what the hell is that about?" Cormac booms.

"I advise you to shut the hell up before I rip your tongue out. If I wish to not be disturbed then don't fucking disturb me." I seethe.

"Yeah, whatever." He walks past me and sits in my seat, ignoring my warning. "What is it you're up to that requires complete concentration? This business has always come easy to you, which is why you're the best. Normally it's your side business that gets you this irritated."

"What I'm up to is none of your business. Get. Out."

"God you're grumpy." He mumbles before standing up, heading for my office door. "Whatever, I'll get out of your hair. I gotta get home anyway, got mini humans to get to bed."

He makes his way to the door and I head to take my seat at my desk, glad he didn't notice Stella. I wasn't ready for that conversation yet.

"Clayton."

"What Cormac?"

"Who's this?"

Shit.

"None of your business."

"Clayton, who is this?" He questions me again.

I roll my eyes.

"This is Stella."

"How old is Stella?"

"Fifteen."

"Clayton." He's testing my patience.

"Cormac."

"She won't be safe with you."

"What I do doesn't concern you. Get out."

He looks at me almost pitifully before he finally leaves.

I hate that I know he's right.