Chapter 19

Stella's POV

The ride to Mr. Reid's office was fairly short. I kept my eyes glued to the city, taking in sights I'd never seen before. I've never been on this side of town, it's so clean and everyone looks like they know exactly where they're going and what they're doing. It's all so intimidating and I haven't even left the car. 

The car slows to a stop outside a tall building with the word 'Reid' in big silver letters over the doors. People are rushing in and out of the glass doors leading into the building. The glass walls reflect the dark clouds in the sky and I have to crane my neck to see the top of the building. It's all so impressive. 

I follow Maryanne as she heads towards the doors along with a group of people. I make sure to stay as close as possible as not to lose her but a rush of people run in the doors just as we do and I lose track of the ginger woman I've grown accustomed to rather quickly. People shove and glare down at me like they know I'm not supposed to be here and I trip as I finally make it into the lobby of the building. 

"Woah." I let the gasp escape my lips as I view the gorgeous interior. The marble floors shine, the matching marble reception counter is sparkling, the black chairs occupied with people dressed to impress accent the white perfectly, and the glass walls let the perfect amount of light in. 

I look around slowly, trying to take everything in. The plants hidden in corners, the columns holding up the building, the bathrooms, the people. It's all so mesmerizing and I'm standing right in the center of it all. So small, so insignificant in this world.  I look down at my clothes and suddenly feel very underdressed. I look around at everyone else's clothes; men in fitted suits, women in fancy skirts or dresses. 

"Stella." Maryanne pulls the back of my shirt to get my attention and I spin to face her. 

"Sorry, I got lost coming through the doors." I inform her. 

"It's alright darling, just stay close by. I don't want to be late." I nod in agreement and quickly follow behind her. 

She makes her way towards a set of elevators I didn't notice before and I can't help but wonder what else have I missed? How much will I continue to miss? 

I grab Maryanne's hand as I start to lose her again in another crowd, all of them wanting to get in the elevator as well as us.  She looks down at me with a smile and tightens her grip, seemingly to comfort me. 

The elevator dings and we file in with a group of people. The doors close and people start voicing floor numbers that they need to go to. Maryanne voices out the 40th floor and my eyes go wide. 

I didn't realize how tall the building was, and it all belongs to Mr.Reid.

It's a long ascent to the top with the elevator stopping to let the others out as we go, but soon enough it's just Maryanne and I left in the elevator. 

"So, when we get there you can come with me to greet Mr. Reid if you want or you can just sit by my desk it's completely up to you." She says before glancing down at the watch on her wrist.

"I'll come with you." I voice back to her. 

The elevator dings once more to signal our arrival to our floor. Maryanne steps out first and I follow behind her. 

The floors are a white tile that sparkles under the light, and the wall farthest from the elevator is completely windows. Maryanne walks to the desk that's waits right outside of the elevator. The desk is also white with a computer resting atop of it, there are stacks of papers neatly organized all over the desk. 

I stand just outside the elevator as Maryanne drops her bag behind the desk and walks down the hall I didn't take note of and comes back with a chair.

"Here you can sit here." She motions to the chair as she rolls it beside hers. 

I make my way over and take a seat in the chair. I watch Maryanne as she turns on her computer and searches through papers while muttering under her breath. 

After a few minutes she gets up and motions for me to follow her. I get up and follow closely behind her. She takes a left down the white hallway. We pass many white doors on both sides of the hallway before stopping outside a set of big gray doors at the end of the hallway.

"Okay, I'm gonna brief Mr.Reid on all of his meetings and calls for the day and then I will go back to my desk. He'll probably give you the choice of staying with him in his office or staying with me at my desk, it's 100% up to you. You don't have to do anything you don't want to." She says with a smile. 

"Okay."  I nod.

She opens the door and I follow her in. Mr. Reid is sat behind his desk straight ahead of us. The back of his chair is to us as he looks out the wall of windows that line the outer walls of his office. 

Maryanne starts talking to him as I look around the room. The lights are dimmed and the cloudy sky lets in the perfect amount of light to be able to see. To the right there's a couch and coffee table sitting on top of a gray patterned rug, there's a fireplace beside the gray doors we entered through that aligns with the couch. The left of the room is a gray wall with two doors. 

Maryanne nudges me and I snap my eyes to hers. 

"Huh?" I ask.

"Mr. Reid said he lined up tutors to interview today to teach you. Does that work with you?"  Maryanne says.

"Uh yeah that works with me." I look to  the desk, "Thank you Mr. Reid."

"You're welcome Stella." He nods at me with a slight smile. "Maryanne I want you to spend the day interviewing with Stella, everything in my day is manageable. Just find the best tutor for her."

"Yes Mr. Reid." Maryanne nods before ushering me out of the room in front of her. "Let's go interview."

-----------------------------------

IM SO SORRY FOR SUCH A LONG BREAK!!!

THANK YOU FOR 18K READS THAT'S INSANE!! <3