[01. New Year, New Guy]

Start from the beginning

Jeremy shrugged and took Elena's share along with his. Lucy and Joel exchanged at look at his actions, thinking the same thing; more drug money for Jeremy.

Joel quickly recovered. "You know, I could use—"

Jenna interrupted him, "That's funny, Mr. IT Guy," she scoffed and went back to her purse as Joel smiled sheepishly. "Anything else?" she asked the younger siblings. "A number two pencil? What am I missing?"

Lucy frowned thoughtfully and reached into the doughnut box, picking up a glazed one. "Don't you have your presentation today?" she asked Jenna.

Jenna huffed. "I'm meeting with my thesis advisor at—" she checked her watch. "—now. Shit!"

Jenna hurriedly took the elastic out of her messy ponytail, allowing her strawberry blonde hair to fall around her face. She grabbed her purse and a large binder, looking at the Gilbert siblings guiltily.

"Go on," Joel waved her off. "I heard Dr. Castor is a bitch. I'll take care of things here."

"Thanks," Jenna sighed in relief and started to head to the front door, calling, "Have a good first day and Joel, make sure you go to class!"

The front door opened and shut quickly. Joel turned to his younger siblings, a mischievous smirk on his face. "So," he started. "Who wants to skip school?"

Lucy rolled her eyes while Jeremy snorted in amusement. Elena, however, was not happy.

"Shut it, Joel," she gave him a warning look before she turned to Jeremy. "Are you okay?"

Jeremy sighed, aggravated, and put his mug on the counter. "Don't start."

Elena pursed her lips as Jeremy stomped out of the kitchen and up the stairs to his room.

"Don't let it bother you, Lena," Lucy spoke up, giving her sister a comforting smile. "He's just taking time to grieve."

"And smoking a bunch of weed while he's at it," Joel commented. As an afterthought, he added, "And who knows what else."

"Joel," Lucy hissed warningly, afraid that Elena's forehead vein would burst from anger. She took a bite of her doughnut and quickly chewed. "What are you doing here, anyway?"

Joel grinned and smacked the counter, standing from the stool he was sitting on. "I'm here to take you to school. I don't have class until later and I'm off work today, so..."

"Bonnie's giving me a ride," Elena grimaced apologetically at her older brother. The front door slammed, making Lucy and Elena turn toward the foyer. "And I think Jeremy decided he was walking."

"Fine," Joel shrugged and grabbed his car keys off the counter. He grinned at Lucy. "Just you and me, Lou."

Lucy grimaced, not at the thought of her brother driving her to school, but at the thought of a car at all. She had ridden in cars since the accident, of course, but it took a lot of her courage. And she was already using up a lot of her bravery even stepping foot in the school.

Joel caught the hesitation on her face and patted her shoulder comfortingly. "Don't worry, we'll take our time," he began guiding her out of the house, looking back at Elena to shout, "Have a good day, Lenabug!"

Joel closed the door shut behind him and Lucy. Walking down the porch steps, he clicked the button on his car keys, unlocking his truck.

Lucy slowed to a stop right outside the passenger door, looking at the vehicle hesitantly.

"Hey," Joel, who had been walking around the front of the vehicle, paused and looked back at Lucy. "I'll be careful, I promise."

Lucy swallowed dryly and nervously nodded. "I know."