Chapter 17

This is just a little filler chapter before the big stuff happens. Hope you enjoy it and as always thank you for your support :)

(Reed)

It was after five-thirty when I decided to stop for the day. I turned off the computer, pushed in my chair, and grabbed my suit coat and briefcase. Crossing the room, I switched off the light and stepped out into the reception area. Locking the door behind me, I saw Winnie was sitting at her desk typing away on the keyboard.

"Going home I see," she said, glancing up from the computer screen.

I laid my things on the corner of her desk and moved around to her side. Grasping the arms of her chair, I turned her to face me. Gently I removed her glasses and placed them on the desk. "No,I have an idea. Let's grab a pizza for dinner. Afterward we can catch a movie. I'll let you pick it."

"Sounds wonderful, but I don't-"

I pressed my finger against her soft lips to silence her. "No buts, Winnie. After the day we had we need this time together. No cell phones and no talk of family allowed. Tonight will be about us. What do you say?" I leaned in close and kissed her. "Don't make me kidnap you."

"Oh, you would do that, would you?" she inquired, arching an eyebrow.

"If I have to." I traced her jaw line with my finger. "You're a little thing. It wouldn't be too difficult."

Her eyes dancing with amusement, she said, "Ask me nicely and I might go with you willingly."

"If that's what it takes." I gazed into her eyes. "Winnie, would you do me the honor of going to dinner and a movie with me?"

"You didn't say please," she muttered, smirking.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. "Would you go to dinner and a movie with me? Please."

"There, now was that so hard?"

"Winnie," I growled.

"Yes, Reed?" she said, trying to act innocent.

"Answer the damn question," I murmured.

"Could you repeat the question?"

I glared at her.

Winnie laughed softly and kissed me on the cheek. "Of course, I'll go with you to dinner and a movie. Give me a few minutes."

"Take your time." I perched on the edge of the desk and watched as she logged off her computer. As I gazed at her this morning came back to haunt me and just like that anger flared to life inside of me. I wanted to wrap my hands around Mark's neck and squeeze the life out of him.

"I've been wanting to see that movie Gone Girl," Winnie said, cutting into my thoughts. "Are you interested?"

I cleared my throat. "Sure. I saw the trailer the other day. It looked like a good movie. I'll check and see what time the next show starts." I retrieved my phone from the pocket of my suit coat and quickly brought up the movie show times. "The next one is at seven-thirty."

"That gives us plenty of time to eat." She gathered up her things and stood. "I'm ready to go."

I took her hand and steered her toward the elevator.

Ten minutes later, Winnie and I were sitting at a booth in a large pizzeria. All around us families and groups of teenagers were talking over pizza and soft drinks.