Chapter 26

Hope you enjoy this chapter and thanks for your support. It's always appreciated. :)

(Reed)

I knew what I was about to do was a mistake, but it probably wouldn't be the last one I made today. Walking up the steps, I didn't bother with the doorbell. I let myself into the mansion. The butler met me halfway across the foyer.

"May I help you, Mr. Drummond?" he asked.

"You can tell me where my mother is," I said.

"She's in her office, sir." He cleared his throat. "Would you like me to take you to her?"

"That won't be necessary," I told him. "Thank you, Martin."

"You're welcome, sir."

I made my way to the office, where I found mother sitting behind her desk, talking on the phone. Her recent heart attack left her looking pale and fragile. I knew better. This woman didn't have a fragile bone in her body. She was made of steel, unyielding and cold.

"Hello, Reed," she said coolly as she hung up the phone.

"Mother." I stopped in front of her desk and gazed down at her. "How have you been?"

"How do you think I've been?" She gave me a look of disgust. "I had a heart attack and now my son is being shipped off to another prison."

"Don't forget you're getting a divorce," I added.

"It's long overdo." Mother tucked several strands of hair behind her ear. "I should have left him years ago. He was nothing but a thorn in my side."

"I bet you were no picnic to-" I bit my tongue, forcing my anger down deep inside. This was possibly the last time I would see her. I had no plans of ever going to Louisiana, and I was quite certain she would never return to Dallas. There was nothing here for her anymore.

"Finish what you wanted to say," she demanded.

"I don't think I will." I sat down in one of the chairs in front of the desk. "Do you have a place to stay when you get to Shreveport?"

"I'm staying at a hotel near the prison until I can find a place," she answered. "A moving company will be here tomorrow to box up my belongings and transport them to Shreveport."

"What's going to happen with the mansion?" I asked.

"It's going to be sold and the money split between your father and me," she explained. "Our lawyers will handle the details."

"It seems as though you've thought of everything."

"I believe in covering all my bases." She glanced at her watch. "I haven't been to the prison since Sunday. I'd like to go visit Mark so if you-"

"The warden didn't call you yesterday and tell you?"

Mother frowned at me. "Tell me what?"

"Mark has been moved to solitary confinement." I held back a grin. "He's not allowed visitors."

"Solitary confinement," she snapped, her eyes flashing. "What does the warden think Mark did to deserve solitary confinement?"

I filled her in on what her precious son had been doing to Winnie and me. It was a waste of time I knew. She wouldn't believe anything I told her. According to her, her son was incapable of doing evil.