Chapter 4

Thank you all so much for your support. I appreciate it. I hope you all enjoy the new chapter.  :)

(Reed)

It was after twelve-thirty. I had just returned from lunch and was sitting behind my desk when suddenly the door opened and Winnie entered the office. She was carrying a large square shaped package. It was wrapped in brown paper and tied with string.

Winnie propped the package against the wall, crossed the room, and sat down in one of the chairs that was located in front of the desk. I welcomed her back and she thanked me. She crossed her legs and adjusted her skirt. My eyes were immediately drawn to her shapely legs. I quickly looked away. I was not going there. It would be for the best if I ignored the fact that she was a beautiful vivacious woman. I swallowed thickly and asked her if everything went well.

"Everything went fine," she answered. "It was one of the smoothest trips I've taken."

"I'm glad." I pushed back my chair and stood. Moving around the desk, I took a seat beside her. "I think now is a good time for us to talk. I checked the schedule and we both have some free time so-"

"Please," Winnie muttered. "Don't make me wait any longer. Just come out with it."

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "It's about my brother." I looked into her eyes. "I went to see Mark last night. He told me you've been going to visit him for a while now. Winnie, how did you find out about him?"

"I uh-" She moistened her lips with the tip of her tongue. "I was checking your phone messages and came across one from the prison. It was about your brother."

"And you didn't tell me you knew about him because?"

"Because I-" She shifted slightly under my gaze and averted her eyes. "Because I didn't know how to broach the subject and besides I didn't see any reason why I needed to tell you."

"You didn't see any reason." Anger rose inside me and I tamped it down. I was determined to remain calm. "He's my brother. I see that as reason enough. Why did you feel the need to visit him?"

"Curiosity." Winnie lowered her head and uttered quietly, "I wanted to see what he was like."

"You should have stayed away." I got to my feet and glared down at her. "He lied to you, Winnie. He didn't go to prison for accidentally shooting his girlfriend. He went to prison for murdering a man and his wife."

"No." She jerked her head up and I saw her face had lost all its color. "N-no, you're-"

"He murdered them in cold blood," I snarled, letting my temper get the better of me even though I had been determined less then a minute ago to keep calm. "Should I give you the gruesome details, Winifred? Would you believe me then?"

She raised a shaky hand to her hair, tucking a strand behind her ear. "W-why w-would he l-lie about-"

"My brother is a manipulative, lying bastard." I clenched and unclenched my hands at my sides. "He's no good. Some people were born evil and he's one of them. He's playing with you, Winnie. You're too blind and naive to see that."

"What did you call me?" she growled.

"Blind and naive," I replied coolly. "Mark was gloating about how he had you wrapped around his finger."