Chapter 13

Thank you all so much for your support. It means a lot to me. Hope you enjoy the new chapter :)

(Winnie)

Something soft brushing against my cheek woke me from my sleep the next morning. I opened my bleary eyes and found Reed hovering over me. His hand was caressing my face. I rubbed my cheek against his hand and smiled up at him. "What are you doing in my room, handsome?"

"I came in here to kiss you goodbye," he muttered. "I'm leaving in a few minutes to go fishing with Carter and Jack. We'll probably be gone most of the day."

"I'll miss you while we're apart," I whispered.

"I'll miss you, too." He lowered his head and kissed me softly on the mouth. "Sorry I woke you."

"I'm not." I ran my hand over his back and pressed my lips to his jaw. "You can wake me anytime you want."

"I'll keep that in mind." Reed kissed the tip of my nose. "Go back to sleep. It's still early."

"Catch a fish for me," I said.

He snorted quietly. "I'll be lucky if I can catch one for me, but I'll try."

"Good luck," I told him.

"Thank you." After one more kiss he left the room, shutting the door behind him.

With a smile on my lips I closed my eyes and drifted back to sleep.

Faith was sitting at the table reading the newspaper when I walked into the kitchen later that morning. We wished each other a good morning as I made a beeline for the coffeepot. Once I poured myself a cup of the steaming brew I joined her at the table.

"I gave Harry the morning off," she said, folding the paper. "I couldn't see asking him to cook just for the two of us. I thought we would go out for breakfast. If that's okay with you."

"That's fine," I assured her.

"Let me visit the bathroom and then grab my purse." Faith pushed back her chair and slowly got to her feet. She waddled from the kitchen.

While I waited for her to come back I sipped my coffee and glanced through the newspaper. I was in the middle of reading an article about the flu outbreak when my cell phone rang. Putting down the paper, I retrieved the phone from my jacket pocket. "Hello."

"Good morning, dear, this is Miranda Drummond."

"Good morning, Mrs. Drummond," I said, wondering why she was calling me. "How are you?"

"Not very well," she answered. "I'm concerned about Mark. Yesterday two inmates beat him severely. He's in the hospital recovering."

"I'm sorry." The truth was I wasn't sorry. After what he did to that poor husband and wife he deserved everything he got. I hoped he suffered.

"He wants to see you," she said. "I was wondering if you had some free time today."

"I'm out of town," I informed her. "Reed and I are visiting friends."

"Oh, I see," she murmured. "When will you be back?"

"Monday," I replied.

"Perhaps when you get back you could drop by the prison and see him."