Chapter 25

I appreciate your support. Hope you enjoy the new chapter. :)

(Winnie)

The morning sun beat down on my back and neck, making me feel warm and drowsy. I shifted in the saddle and glanced at my father, who was maneuvering a cow back into the herd we were transferring to another part of the ranch. He sat tall in the saddle, his gray eyes trained on the cow. The scene brought back fond memories from my childhood, bringing a smile to my face.

Movement from the corner of my eye caught my attention. I turned my head and my heart sank. Riding toward me was my ex-boyfriend, Tucker Ryan. He was average height, broad shouldered, with dark brown hair and hazel eyes. There was a time when the sight of him would have filled me with happiness. Now it only filled me with dread. Oh, how I wished the ground would open up and swallow me.

"I heard you were back." Tucker drew his horse along side mine. "Hello, Win."

I adjusted my baseball cap. "Hello, Tucker."

"You look different," he commented.

"Well, it's been a little over a year since you last saw me," I pointed out, my attention focused on the cattle. "I was bound to change a little."

"How long are you here for?"

I wanted to tell him it was none of his damn business. Instead I answered, "Until the weekend and then I'm heading home."

"That's not a very long visit," he said. "Why the hurry to go home?"

I thought of Reed, and a warm feeling that had nothing to do with the sun washed over me. As much as I loved my family, there was no way I was going to be away from Reed for more than a week.

"You have someone waiting for you at home," Tucker said. "Don't bother to deny it. It's written all over your face. What's his name?"

"Reed."

"Is he good to you?" he demanded to know.

I looked at him and replied, "He treats me like I'm a princess. He is a wonderful man, and I am blessed to have him in my life."

Tucker nodded, his expression grim. "Do you love him?"

"I don't see how that's any of your business." I felt like he was interrogating me, and I wanted no part of it. "Are you involved with anyone?"

"No," he said so softly I almost didn't hear him. "I date, but nothing serious. I tried serious before and it didn't work."

I knew without a shadow of a doubt he was talking about me. "It might have worked if you hadn't been unfaithful."

"I apologized to you over and over again." Tucker rubbed the back of his neck. "I can't spend the rest of my life apologizing for what I did."

He was right, but that still didn't make what he did any easier for me. Desperate to get away from him, I urged the horse into a full gallop.

Around one we took a break for lunch. The ranch's cook brought us food and set it out on the tailgate of her truck. I fixed myself a plate of friend chicken, potato salad, and a biscuit. Grabbing a bottle of water from the ice chest, I made my way over to my father.

"Hello, shortcake," he said as I sat down beside him on the tailgate.

I leaned in close and pecked him on the cheek. "Hey, Dad. How are you doing?"