chapter fifteen - zac's perspective

Crap. The boat's not working again. Great timing!
"Jason, keep trying the boat, Kennedy evacuate the beach, and Jess and I will take the jet ski," I order, the hot early morning sun beaming down on me.
"But Zac-" Jason starts.
"Just do it, Jason. There's no other option," I say. Jason nods reluctantly.

I can see two swimmers. I can also see a fin. And I know immediately it's not just a dolphin. It's a shark. Shit. This situation is a lot worse then I first thought. It was dumb of me to take the jet ski. What was I thinking? It can only fit four people, max. I know that we have no time to waste though.
"Jess pull up as close as you can to the swimmers, and I'll get them up here, okay?" I say.
"Okay," Jess replies, doing so.
We are right next to the first swimmer, and they look so familiar. They have dark eyes blonde hair. They look almost exactly like... Leo. Except younger. Probably her little sister. The thought of Leo hurts so bad, but I can see the terror in the swimmer's eyes. So I focus and quickly continue to help her up onto the jet ski, and check if she's okay.
When we get to the other swimmer, I know he's not doing well at all. He's struggling to stay afloat, and I can tell by the pool of blood around him and the agony on his face that he's been injured. Bitten. I carefully get him onto the jet ski.
Just as we're heading back to shore, I see another swimmer, much more far out. Way too far out. They are screaming and waving for help.
"Jess! I can see another swimmer. I need to go get them, but you need to get this guy an ambulance," I say loudly.
"Zac, that's a stupid idea! It's way too dangerous!" Jess replies.
"This guy needs an ambulance right now. We have no choice, I have to go save this other person. Besides, there wouldn't be enough room on the jet ski for us, anyway," I say, and Jess knows that I am right.
"Fine, but be very careful. I'll radio Jason to tell him to come get you. Good luck, you are going to need it," Jess says reluctantly, but I'm already swimming.

Oh no. I finally spot the swimmer, after what feels like ages of searching. The waves are very strong right now.
"Are you alright?" I ask.
A small kid, several years younger then me, looks up to me with frightened eyes. They look exhausted. I can't tell whether or not they speak English, because they aren't replying to me. I place them up onto my shoulders so they can catch their breath.
Soon I can hear the boat coming towards us, finally working. I see blurs of Jason's face. I can feel weight lifting off my shoulders, as I try my best to help the kid up onto the boat. But in doing so, I am forced backward and deep underwater. I feel dizzy. I have no strength to swim up to the surface anymore, I'm too tired. I'm running on adrenaline and adrenaline only. My eyes are closed. But I immediately open them when I feel the worst pain I have ever felt, in my leg. Scarlett erupts around me. I can see a blur of a large grey animal splashing around me. I feel two hands grip my shoulders, hear the sound of voices shouting, the loud purr of the boat engine, then everything goes black...