chapter seven - your perspective

I'm sitting in a cafe shop, looking out onto the beach. I am just finishing my latte, when I hear a slightly familiar voice say, "Hey."
I spin around and see the hot lifeguard from the beach. My heart starts rushing.
"Oh, hey," I say, "What are you doing here?"
"It's my lunch break, and I saw you come in here," He replies, smiling his perfect crooked smile.
"Sit down," I say, smiling back.
"Thanks," He says, "I didn't catch your name, what is it?"
"I'm Leo," I answer, "What about you?"
"I'm Zac. I don't think I've seen you at the beach before, are you new to the area?"
"Yeah, I moved here yesterday."
"Oh cool! Maybe I could give you a tour of the sights someday..."
"I would like that."
We sit chatting for a while, and I'm relaxed and having a nice time until he says with a cheeky grin; "So, what do I have to do to get your number?"
My throat tightens. I haven't dated anyone for two years, since Carson... I haven't had feelings for anyone, since Carson... Sure, heaps of guys have asked me out before but I never liked them back and always said no. I'm not good at trusting people anymore. But I think I might be catching feelings for Zac. I can't deny the way my heart rushes when I'm around him. I swore to myself I would never love anyone again, after what happened. My brain is telling me to tell Zac to leave me alone, say I'm not interested, but what slips out is; "You have to ask." My expression matches his; flirty, daring.
"Well Leo... Please will you give me your number?" He says, in the same sexy tone.
"Okay," I answer, "Pass me your phone."
He does, so I click onto contacts and add mine. I give him my phone so he can do the same. Just as I'm switching his phone off, I see a contact that makes my breath catch.
"You know Ruel?" I ask.
"Yeah! He's like, my best mate. Do you know him?" Zac replies.
"I went to his concert last night," I answer.
Zac's face flashes with something which I think is hurt. He stands up to leave. "Don't talk to me again. You're certainly not the first person to try to get to Ruel through me." And with that, he storms out the door.

I grab my phone and start texting Zac, and before I know it, I've written a whole paragraph.
zac, let me explain. i'd never even heard of ruel until last night. my mum made me go to the concert. please trust me when i say i'm not interested in him at all. i gave you my number because i liked you, not ruel. please come back so i can explain more in person. please come back. and besides, i want to see your pretty face again.
I hit send. I can feel butterflies in my stomach. I totally get that he would think that I might be trying to get to Ruel, but I'm definitely not. I like Zac, and I don't care if he's friends with one of the biggest celebrities at the moment. I like the way my heart rushes when I'm around Zac. I crave it. I want it back. I can't hide the grin on my face when I see him walk back through the door. And the feeling is back. The rushing in my chest that I love so much.