Episode 17: The Meaning of 'Wind'

Start from the beginning

"A trial? What do I get if I pass?"

He laughed. "I'll tell you my sacred name. By knowing it, you'll be able to call upon me. Through doing so, you'll be able to utilize my full power."

I smiled. "I like the sound of that. So, what's this trial."

He opened his fan, covering his mouth with it. "A tea ceremony."

I raised a brow. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me."

Tea? This guy didn't only have my voice, Dan's looks, and Silas' personality, but Dossie's taste for tea and father's sensibilities...

He lowered the fan, revealing a smile. "Do you refuse 'Sir'?" he asked, his eyes peering into mine as if he could read my mind. Considering who he was, he probably could.

"Nope. If this will help me get stronger than I'll do your silly tea ceremony."

He sighed. "You might have keen eyes, but what are they when they fail to see the beauty of even the simplest of things." He rose from the bed and flew out of the room like a spirit in a hurry.

I spread my emerald wings out and followed after him. As soon as I stepped out of the room, I was washed with verdant light. Next thing I knew, I found myself in a garden filled with cherry and plum blossoms. The wind carried their petals back and forth just like it carries the waters of the Grand lakes my father used to take us to for vacation.

"Come," Donato's angel said, keeping his head forward. He wore a red kimono and a black hakama, resembling a fire rising from the coals of a pit. A crimson ribbon tied his dark brown hair into a neat knot.

Dan had never considered himself very handsome, so he didn't even try to dress nicely, but seeing Donato in such fine robes made me think that he would've been rather popular with the girls.

"Come," my guardian angel repeated, walking on ahead. He crossed a small red bridge which overlooked a river dotted with floating petals.

"What's wrong?" I asked as the well-dressed angel came to a stop.

He looked over his shoulder and snapped his hands. I gasped as my red t-shirt was replaced by green robes matching those of his while my black jeans were replaced by a white hakama.

He smiled. "There, much better. Now, I trust you know how a tea ceremony goes?"

I nodded. My father made us join him in a couple. Dossie loved it the most out of us. Silas and I hated it the most. We didn't get the point of it at all. It was just some boring tradition.

On the other side of the bridge was a path made up of stone of varying sizes and shapes which led directly to a small house. Next to the tea-house was a small stone basin.

The angel walked directly to the basin and picked up the wooden dipper to wash his hands with. He handed it over to me once I arrived at the spot. Taking it, I poured water over my hands. The water represented the washing away of sins.

I glanced up and saw my angel standing by the tea-house. He slid the rice-paper door open and removed his straw sandals as he placed them on the outer edge.

My eyes shifted to the cabby. Father had us remove our angel tools and place them there like the way the dukes of the past used to do. According to him, weapons were forbidden in the hallow-ground that was the tea ceremony house.

"Hey, shouldn't you stay outside?" I asked, grinning.

He snickered. "True, but in this case, I'll go inside."

The floor of the room was made up of straw mats. In one corner of the room was an alcove with a vase filled with zinnias, Dan's favorite flower. A scroll with 'Kaze' written on it. Kaze... that was my paternal grandmother's nickname. The wind of Makkuroyama and the last leader of the Grand Duchy.