Episode 17: The Meaning of 'Wind'

I opened my eyes and found myself in a dark room

I opened my eyes and found myself in a dark room. "Eiichi?" I called out, looking around. My eyes widened as I realized whose room this was. "Why am I in Dan's room? Did we return home?" No, if that was the case I would've been put in my own room.

I pushed myself up and walked toward the door. When I tried to open it, the knob wouldn't budge.

"Dad, mom? Kiara, Silas, Camila, Amun, Layla? Anyone there? Alex? Nat? Dossie?" I called out, knocking on the door. "Help me! Someone! I'm locked in Dan's room!"

The air in my lungs escaped me as the door flung open.

"Thanks..." My eyes widened as I saw a dark void beneath. The room I was in was floating in darkness resembling the abyss. "No... what happened!?"

Had the abysmals attacked while we were gone?

I stepped back and grabbed my head. "No, I must be dreaming."

Snickering echoed from behind me. "Right you are," a voice called out.

I spun on my heels. Sitting on Dan's bed was Dan...

"Brother!" I yelled, hugging him.

"Hey, let go of me, you fool!" he yelled.

That tone... "Silas?" I asked as I let go of him.

The guy dusted himself off. His red eyes narrowed. "I'm not either of your brothers."

I stepped back. "Who are you then? Wait... you said that my assumption of this being a dream was right..."

He nodded. "Right, Mr. Detective."

I grumbled. He really was like Sy... but he looked just like Dan... but his voice was that of mine.

"We met when your brother was captured by your aunt and her family."

I blinked. "Huh?"

He rolled his eyes. "Fine, I'll give you another clue. Clue number two: You didn't meet me in this form."

"Didn't meet you in this form... yet we met when Dan was kidnapped by the rebels." I tilted my head, trying to recall who I had met.

He sighed. "Third and final clue: You accepted me in order to save him."

I gasped. "Wait, are you..." I reached for my necklace, but realized it was gone. "Donato?"

The guy smiled. "Bingo! Wish you had figured it out with the first clue. So much for a genius."

"Hey! Aren't you guardian angels supposed to make their protectees feel better about themselves?"

"What? You wish for me to tell you things I don't believe? Get real, I'm not going to feed you fantasies." He summoned a fan and pointed it at me. "Now, how about we begin my trial, 'Wielder of Donato'?"