Special: Twin Cubs

*Dante*

[Ten years before the events of the main story]

"Hey, Dan, Silas" Mama said as she poked her head in. "Ready for your first day of first grade and kindergarten?"

I smiled and nodded. "Y-yeah!"

She giggled and ran over to hug my little brother and me. "Aww! I can't believe that you're already a first grader and kindergartener! It feels as if it were just yesterday when your Papa and me were changing your diapers and singing you lullabies."

"Sy, is so-something wro-wrong?" I asked.

"Yeah, you've been awfully silent," Mama said. "Are you feeling okay?"

His little hands shook. "I... I want to stay here with Mama and Papa!" he blurted out.

Mama caressed his face. "I see, you're nervous, aren't you?"

Sy closed his eyes. "I don't wanna go!"

"It's n-not th-that scary once you get used to it," I said, grabbing a hold of one of his trembling hands.

He opened his eyes and stared at me. "It's not?"

"We-well, fir-first day is..."

My little brother grumbled. "I want to stay..."

Mama sighed and patted him on the back. "Your big brothers and sister will be there to help you. Plus, I already talked to your teacher. She's a nice lady. I'm sure that your peers will also be nice kids. Also, didn't you say last week that you wanted to make a lot of friends?"

"Friends?" Sy asked, looking up at her.

She nodded her head, "There's a lot of kids there you can befriend, but you won't get a chance to do so if you stay here."

I smiled. "Let's go and make a lot of buddies, Sy!"

Sy stared at me as if in shock.

"Hmm? S-something wrong?"

"You didn't stutter."

I gasped. He was right... "G-guess it comes and g-goes." I hoped that one day I could get rid of it. I hadn't told Sy this, but the kids at school made fun of me because of it, more so the older ones. Nor did I wish to tell him. If I did, he would've just been more adamant about staying.

"Ready to go!" a voice called out. My big sis walked into the room, a big smile on her face. She already had on her uniform and pink backpack. "Are my little brothers ready?"

"I am, b-but Sy isn't."

Mama stood up to her full height. "He's nervous."

"Aww. Sy, there's nothing to be nervous about. I'm sure that the other kids will love to have you around," Kiara said, walking over to him.

"If you say so..." he said, keeping his head down.

This was bad; nothing seemed to be getting to him. If Sy continued like this, he would probably stay quiet and miss his chance to make friends.

I gasped and ran over to my bed.

"Dan, what are you doing?" Mama asked.

I smiled as I pulled out a tin box. It had my most precious possession, my Spirit Cards! They were part of a game. I didn't really know how to play it all that well, but they were nice to look at. Maybe one day, when older, I would be able to use them as they're meant to be. According to Papa, the best user of these cards was called the 'Spirit King'. Hopefully, one day, I could also hold that title.