|Prologue|

Revenge. 

He would get his revenge. The rage that clouded his mind, heated his entire body as he ran. His beast pushing harder than it ever had before, paws pounding against the dry earth as he ran through the trees. 

The boy would make that man pay if it was the last thing he ever did. He would have to get stronger; it still angered his soul that he had to run away instead of stay and fight. The young boy, cloaked in his beastly wolf form, threw his head back and let out a sorrowful howl into the night air. The sound rang through the trees, the solemn hymn covered with white wisps in the unforgiving winter air. 

He kept running, breaking into no-mans land territory. He didn't have to run for very long before he smelt it- blood, gas and the scent of peeled tires. 

His curiosity got the better of him, as he followed the scent trail. There was only one road around here, it led into a small human town called Willsden Brooke- the place was relatively hidden away and there wasn't much there so it was rare to find anyone using the road at all. 

As he approached, the road was empty- long, dark, tire marks swerved off the road where the driver had tried to perhaps avoid hitting something. The boy- Seth- followed the marks to where the now lay, on its side with punctured tires and shattered windows. 

The first thing he could smell, was death, cloaking the front of the vehicle like a blanket; had he been in his human form, he may have gagged. There was something else too, he could smell something stale in the air. He put his nose to the ground as he tried to sniff out the strange smell but he could not decipher it's contents- the unrelenting scent of the dead had already clogged the air and muddled the scents. 

Seth was about to leave, he had been sure that he had seen all that he could have from the tragic scene, but something stopped him in his tracks. The small sound of whimpering, so quiet but like a scream in the silent forest air. 

The wolf trotted closer, caution coiling in every muscle as he took small steps towards the wreck. He was certain that he could smell death so what creature could still be alive, and whimpering for help? 

As he inched closer the whimpering grew louder, the thing beginning to cry. He peered into the back portion of the car where the sound originated. He found her there, bloodied among the shattered glass and warped metal; a small girl.

Her large brown doe eyes turned to him, tears trailing down her cheeks. She was a tiny thing, he guessed that she couldn't be much older than 5. She had dark chestnut skin, hazel eyes that shone citrine in the light of the setting sun but the most striking feature was her hair. A thick, curly, afro; the back was jet black, but the front half was the colour of snow.

He took her in mesmerised, she looked so innocent he wanted nothing more than to protect her. With night approaching, if he did not help her she would surely freeze to death. It was then, Seth made his decision.

***

For the first two years, Seth had cared for her in his wolf form. He didn't want to scar the girl by having her see him shift, or having her see a naked male who was 12 years her senior. He had found a small cave, big enough for his wolf and the girl to stay in, though he supposed it wouldn't last them more than a few years. The cave was quite small and humans grew rapidly. 

Seth tried very much to protect her; he did as much as he could for her in his wolf form. However it wasn't enough. So, each night after the girl had gone to sleep, he would leave the cave to find wood for firewood, he would hunt and cook the meat so she would not go hungry, and he would even use the animal skins to make clothes for her as she began to grow out of her old ones.