#chap44 #chroniclesoflife #Sagas_by_Irvika #sweetlovestory

Start from the beginning

He was pondering over the matter when he thought of something and then discarded the idea. Minish saw that his brother was restless and questioned, “What shall we do now? Bhabhi won’t be able to sleep alone.”

Atharva shrugged, “I can think of only one way out.. but then it won’t be acceptable.” He stopped for a minute and continued while the other waited with bated breath, “Well… she has to sleep with us.”

Shruti was shocked to hear him say that and denied, “Impossible! How can I do that?” Minish too was taken aback, but couldn’t think of any other solution. Atharva reasoned, “Can you think of anything else?”

Shruti was dumbstruck, knowing very well that what he was suggesting can create a havoc. He said in a matter of fact tone, “Minish and I can sleep on the double bed and you can occupy the single bed.” Shruti looked at him dubiously and then at Minish, who tried to convince her, “Bhabhi it’s okay… there is no other way out. We can manage here if you don’t have a problem.”

Shruti’s mind was going through all the possibilities. Atharva held her hand and calmed her, “I know what you are thinking… but we will tackle it. Sleep now… it’s already quite late.”

He pulled out a blanket from the drawer and tucked her in. She recalled about the night she had slept here with her mother in law and shuddered again at the thought that it won’t go down well with the family. However, she couldn’t dare to sleep alone either. Atharva lay down on the double bed near her and Minish on the other side. After the lights were switched off, Atharva held her hand, assuring her that he was by her side and that she needn’t be scared of anything. Shruti held his hand in a tight grip and at last, she gave up and gradually fell asleep.

Shruti woke up with a headache in the morning, and sat with a jolt on the bed. The incident of last night came rushing back to her mind as it sunk in that she had actually slept in the boys’ room. She had the room to herself as both the brothers were out. What seemed to be an impractical decision at night, sounded like a crime in the morning. In an instant, she cringed with fear… more so as she could hear an argument between Atharva and his mom. She tip toed near the door, not daring to step out, and eavesdropped guiltily.

Mrs Shah said vehemently, “Atharva… do you understand that it is unacceptable? You are not yet married to share the same room.”

Atharva said in an equally agitated tone, “Please ma… understand the situation. She was shaking with fear… has happened before as well… you know that. As it is, that room is secluded from the rest of the house at night. She was in no condition to sleep alone. And anyways, it wasn’t only me in the room, Minish was there as well.”

She refused to listen to anything and said, “Whatever. I don’t think it’s alright.”

Atharva challenged her, “Fine… tell me a solution such that she won’t have to sleep alone and I won’t argue. She was scandalised herself but none of us could think of anything else.” Alpaji was without any clue as to what to do, frowned and left without any further argument.

Shruti was disheartened to hear the bitter conversation and tears rolled down her cheeks. Just then, she heard the door open and quickly wiped off her tears. However, she couldn’t fool Atharva who took one look at her and judged that she must have overheard.

He sighed and consoled her, “Don’t worry… she will come around.”

She tried to control her emotions and quickly went for a bath. She got ready at record speed, and for the first time in her life, wore her clothes without ironing them. She was extremely tensed about confronting her mother in law, but then finally entered the kitchen and greeted ‘Jai Shri Krishna’. Shruti was expecting a backlash, but none came. Although she received a curt reply, her mother in law didn’t say anything harsh that Shruti had been expecting all along. She heaved a sigh of relief and went in the living room. As expected, Atharva had been waiting for her. She communicated silently by shaking her head that his mom hadn’t said anything.