chapter sixteen | BURDEN

"Ya sure it was, Derek Hale?" Sheriff Stilinski asked as Nara, Stiles and Scott trailed behind him.

"Yes!" Scott said as Stiles nodded his head in agreement.

"I saw him too." Stiles added.

"Well, what about the janitor?" Nara asked, her eyes shifting to the ground.

"Still looking."

"Check under the bleachers! Under them!" Scott exclaimed.

"Yeah, Scott! We looked, we pulled them out just like you asked! There's nothing!"

"I'm not making this up!" He continued.

"I know, I believe you. I do."

"No you don't. You have this look like you feel bad for me, like you wanna believe me but I know you don't!" The boy sighed.

"Listen, we're gonna search this whole school. We're gonna find him. Okay? I promise."

"Sheriff!" An officer hollered in the distance.

"Stay. All three of you." He instructed before walking away.

"Well, we survived! Outlasted the Alpha! Still good right? Being alive?" Stiles said as Scott formed a grim look on his face.

"When we were in the Chemistry room...he walked right by us. You don't think he knew we were in there, you don't think he heard us, didn't know exactly where we were?" Scott began as Nara furrowed her eyebrows at him. She knew he was right but there was something off with his tone and his eyes looked a bit different to her. Darker.

"How come we're still alive?"

"It wants me in it's pack!" He yelled, before getting silent once more. "But I think first-I have to get rid of my old pack."

"What do you mean? What old pack?" She asked, mildly confused.

"Allison, Jackson, Lydia. You two."

She looked down at her hands, not even wanting to think of a world where she wasn't best friends with Scott and Stiles.

"The alpha doesn't wanna kill us..." Stiles began as Scott turned around.

"He wants me to do it...and that's not even the worse part."

"How in holy hell is that not the worse part, Scott!?" She whisper shouted

"Because, when he made me shift...I wanted to do it. I wanted to kill you. All of you." It was quiet for a moment before Scott looked away, something dawning on his features. He rushed passed them and they followed him to an ambulance that held his boss. Deaton. There goes Stiles' theory of him being the Alpha.

"What-how'd you get out?"

"Not easily but from what they told me, I'm alive because of you."

"Come on guys-let the paramedics do their jobs." Sheriff Stilinski gestured them away, her and Stiles going to stand off to the side while Scott went to catch up with Allison. She leaned against the ambulance, crossing her arms and staring at nothing.

"How are you?" He asked suddenly, moving to stand next to her. She looked up and couldn't help but note how he was looking at her in an analytical sort of way and for some reason that annoyed her.

"I'll live."

"Do you need to get checked out?"

"No. I don't think I hit my head or anything...just the scratches."

"You don't think? Your nose was bleeding maybe-"

"I'm fine, okay? Stop worrying about me and acting like my bodyguard. I'm a big girl and can take care of myself. If anything I should be your bodyguard, you messed up a lot tonight." She didn't mean to sound as snappy as she did but today had done a number on her and her brain felt so, so overstimulated. She had been weak and showed it to everyone. While he was the person she sought comfort in, she was never happy about it. She felt like a burden to him and something that only worsened his anxiety. She was a burden to him, Scott and her brother.

He opened his mouth but closed it immediately-no words coming out. She took a deep breath and then walked away.