chapter eleven | THE TELL

After thirty-long-minutes of sifting through her DVD collection and finding absolutely nothing that piqued her interest-Nara decided to walk the short distance from her house to the video store.

Only a quarter left of walking did she remember the Alpha that was going around and slaughtering everyone but decided it'd be safer to seek shelter and then call someone to come pick her up than to spend ten minutes walking back.

She pushed the old glass door open and was immediately hit with an overwhelming amount of something. She shook her head-thinking it was her overly active imagination and began browsing through the shelves, stopping when she saw one of her all-time favorites that she never could find a physical copy of. The Breakfast Club. She grabbed it and turned around just as Jackson, of all people, walked in.

He gave her an annoying smirk, and she raised an eyebrow, shaking her head and looking for another movie.

The phone began ringing in the background, and it made her think about an awful horror movie that Stiles had made her and Scott watch. They'd spent the whole time laughing while Stiles hid under his pillow. He swore they were psychopaths for not being scared. She'd rolled her eyes and recounted every stupid thing they'd done recently and how they were ten times scarier than some tall guy in a mask going around and strangling everyone who was mean to him in high school.

"Can anyone help me find The Notebook?" Jackson called out. She chuckled while he turned and glared.

"It's for Lydia!" He insisted. She believed him, but it was still funny that someone who oozed toxic masculinity was searching for a chick flick.

"Whatever you say," she teased, picking up a movie she'd never heard of.

"Hello-is anyone working here?" He called out once more, the phone continuing to ring. She furrowed her eyebrows and dropped both movies back on the shelf.

They began looking around, her only a few steps behind him as the flickering light kept on flickering, and Jackson murmured, "You've got to be kidding me?"

She felt a rush of wind and grabbed the sleeve of his jacket, pulling him to a stop.

"What?" He asked, turning towards Nara as her eyes caught sight of two-non-moving-feet at the corner of a shelf in the distance.

"We need to go," she said quietly, but he just stared at her in confusion before following her gaze. He kept walking forward.

"Jackson! We need to go!" She yelled. The Alpha, ringing in her ears. He didn't budge, so she took a breath and followed him, about to tell him again when he stopped...his eyes going wide. Jackson pulled on her wrist, dragging her in the opposite direction and knocking them both into the ladder, which, caused the light to fall and make every light in the store begin to flicker. If he would've just listened to me in the first place, she seethed. They came to a stop, and in the distance, red eyes glowed. She stared in shock as Jackson pulled them behind a shelf. He peeked around before jumping and turning back. He took a couple of deep breaths, and she did the same, closing her eyes. There was a wispy sound, and DVD's started to fall. He peeked around again, this time more briefly. The sounds of shelf after shelf falling filled her ears, so she jumped out from behind them. Jackson froze, only moving right before the one nearest them fell, which left half of his body trapped and one of his wrists still in hers.

"Shit!" Nara muttered, dropping to her knees and trying to pull on him with every bit of her body weight.

But then-the red eyes were right in front of her, and she was letting go and scrambling backwards. They stared at her for a moment longer-just like the ones in her dream-and then adverted their gaze to Jackson. She closed her eyes and started gasping for air, her heart beating out of her chest.

Then, it was gone and everything was quiet.

Just like that.

(TEEN WOLF)

Nara was sitting in the back of the ambulance with Lydia while Jackson was busy arguing with the paramedics. The Korean girl kept her face in her hands until she heard the familiar voice of Sheriff Stilinski.

"I hear you, but the MT said you hit your head pretty hard. They just wanna make sure you don't have a concussion!" She looked up, and he seemed momentarily surprised to see her before adverting his gaze back to Jackson.

"What part of 'I'm Fine' are you having a problem grasping?! I wanna go home!"

"And I understand that!"

"No, you don't, which should be a pretty simple concept to grasp even for a minimum wage ren-"

"Shut up!" She snapped, garnering everyone's attention and making Jackson momentarily slack-jawed at her tone. "I told you two times that we needed to get out of there! Two times! I should have left your dumbass." She shrugged the blanket from her shoulders, getting up and making a point to push past him and stalk towards the Sheriff's car where Stiles was staring wide-eyed. She opened the door and slipped inside, Stiles turning around hastily. His face softened once he caught a glance at her.

"It was the uh-the Alpha. I told the police that I didn't get a good look at it and that I'm pretty sure it was a mountain lion...I mean, all I really saw were the red eyes anyway," she stammered quietly. He nodded and stared at her sympathetically, not knowing what to say-which kind of scared her-because Stiles always had something to say. She wanted to tell him about the dreams, the odd feelings, but she didn't. She just stared at the floorboard.

Why did she suddenly feel so weak?