chapter four | THE UNEXPECTED

The next day of school went by fast, and soon, Nara was back on the bleachers and staring deep into space as her mind went down a rabbit hole of thought. The fiber analysis on the body—or half—came back from the lab in L.A, and it turns out the animal hairs found were indeed from a wolf.

Scott was terrific on the field, and as much as she wanted to believe it was just him—she couldn't. He was jumping, tumbling, sly, fast. He'd practiced, she knew this, but there was no way in hell he got that good. She and Stiles helped him-challenged him. She still got the best of him seven times out of ten and only because she was faster. These guys were actual Lacrosse players, and he was running over them like they were nothing. He even ended up making first line. Of course, she was happy for him, but it just didn't make any sense. She found herself chewing on her lip. Maybe steroids? Or perhaps he's right, and this is just the adrenaline before the bite makes him go into shock.

She headed to the parking lot and waited for Stiles at his jeep. He'd picked her up this morning with some huge rant about something she couldn't quite remember listening to but vaguely remembered it being about Star Wars. He emerged through the double doors of the school within minutes. He was wearing this strange face, and no matter how long she'd known him, she'd never been able to crack the case when it came to his moods and expressions. She was usually good at that but never when it came to him.

"Okay? What's that look on your face?" She gestured towards her own, wanting to make an emphasis. He sighed but didn't answer.

They drove right to his house, and she followed him silently up the stairs. He opened the door, and she walked in, falling back on the bed and picking up one of the many books scattered aimlessly around the room. LYCANthropy: THE TALE TELL SIGNS.

"You can't be serious?"

He finally spoke.

"Come on. Since when do you not believe in the impossible?" He stared down at her with those wide honey-colored eyes, and Nara sighed.

"Fine!" She exclaimed.

For the next two hours, she laid in his bed and read through the books and papers while he went through the computer. Nara being Nara and him being right about her, she was more than convinced. After he was thoroughly convinced...they called Scott, and within fifteen minutes, he was knocking.

"Get in. You have to see this dude. We've been reading websites, books—all these things." Stiles rambled as Nara sat up, having a pretty good idea that this wasn't going to go too well.

"How much Adderall have you had today?" Scott asked him with a big grin.

"A lot," they both answered. "Doesn't matter, kay, just listen." Stiles continued.

"Is this about the body? Did they find out who did it?"

"No, they're still questioning people. Even Derek Hale."

"Oh, the guy in the woods," Scott affirmed.

"Yeah. But that's not it. Okay?" Stiles yelled, the sound of shuffling paper echoing along the room.

"What then?" Scott was confused.

"Remember the joke?" Stiles huffed. "Not a joke anymore."

She grabbed another random article and started reading over it.

Scott looked at him like he was completely lost and then back at Nara to see if they were serious. She nodded in response.

"The wolf, the bite in the woods! And we've been doing all of this reading—do you even know why a wolf howls?" Stiles rambled some more, this time jumping up.