chapter three | ADRENALINE

As the day dwindled and the final bell rang, she had made her way out to the lacrosse field, taking an empty seat next to the new girl.

"Who is that?" Allison asked, gesturing to Scott, who, from what Nara could see, looked kind of upset.

"Him? I have no idea, why?" Lydia replied, obliviously, causing Nara to roll her eyes. Lydia had gone to school with them since they were kids, and Beacon Hills happened to be a pretty small town. It was a thirty minute blip on the map.

"He's in my English class," Allison shrugged.

"His name is Scott McCall." Nara finally answered, not intending for her tone to come off as annoyed as it did.

"Oh," Lydia said, not caring, as the other girl smiled at Nara.

"I'm Allison. You are?" She held out a hand, and Nra shook it hesitantly.

"Nara Lim and also in said English class."

Before Allison could reply, Finstock blew his whistle, and everyone's attention snapped to the field.

Nara stared in confusion as Scott gripped his head and started squirming. Soon, there was a ball hurtling towards his head, and she squeezed her eyes shut, not wanting to see the impact or the embarrassment.

Once she heard the laughter die down, she opened them back up and saw him readying himself.

The next player hurled the ball, and Scott caught it with ease.

"Yeah!!" Nara and Stiles exclaimed, sharing a grin.

The next team member ran up, and Scott caught that ball as well. Shot after shot, to the point she was tired of cheering.

"He seems like he's pretty good," Allison mumbled.

"Very good," Lydia agreed, staring interestedly.

"Go, Scott!" Nara got up and cheered. He was serious when he said he'd be playing this year.

Then. The complete and utter dickhead that was Jackson Whittemore stepped forward. She took a deep breath and made her way down to the bench with Stiles, demanding the person next to him move.

Jackson ran towards the goal, jumping mid-air and lunged the ball. Scott stepped left and caught it...just like that? Stiles and Nara jumped up, started screaming, and shared a brief hug.

(TEEN WOLF)

The trio was back in the woods, searching for Scott's inhaler and her phone. Nara had protested at first, saying that they should stay out of them for good. She made sure to recount everything that had happened the night before, even commenting that Scott could have rabies for all they knew.

The boys, however, were persistent and good at ignoring her.

"I don't know what it was! It was like-I had all the time in the world to catch the ball! And that's not the only weird thing; I hear stuff I shouldn't be able to hear. I smell things," Scott rambled on as they made their way over a log.

"You smell things? Like what?" Stiles smiled childishly.

"Like the mint, mojito gum in your pocket." He insisted as Stiles stuck his hand in his jacket pocket. "I don't have any mint, mojito gum in my-" He cut himself off as he pulled out a half-opened piece.

Scott continued forward while Stiles glanced back at Nara in confusion. The girl raised an eyebrow and shrugged.

"So, all this started with the bite?" She coaxed.

"Yeah. So, what if it is like an infection? Like my body is floating with adrenaline before I go into shock or something?"

"You know what, I actually think I've heard of this. It's a specific kind of infection." Stiles explained. They both turned around, Scott wearing an interested and "tell me more" expression. Nara was glaring, knowing full well where this was going.

"Are you serious?" Scott asked anxiously.

"Yeah-yeah. It's called lycanthropy." Nara rolled her eyes and shoved him. He smirked.

"What is that? Is that bad?" Scott questioned like an innocent and oblivious puppy-no pun intended.

"Oh yeah, it's the worst! But only once a month." Stiles continued.

"Once a month?"

"Yep. On the night of the fullest moon." She added, sharing a look with Stiles before jumping on his back momentarily and pretending to bite him. Stiles then started howling like an idiot, causing Scott to push him lightly. After a couple of seconds, they began to walk again.

"You're the one who heard a wolf howl." Stiles grinned, teasing Scott some more.

"So did I!" Nara reminded him. "Well, I heard something howl."

"Guys! This could be serious!"

"We know. You're a werewolf." Stiles imitated growling, making her laugh, and Scott glare at both of them.

"Okay, obviously, we're kidding. But if you see me in shop class trying to melt all the silver I can find, it's because Friday's a full moon."

They walked a little more until Scott came to an abrupt stop, looking around and staring at the ground in confusion. "I could've sworn it was somewhere around here. We saw the deer running, the body." She nodded her head, silently agreeing as she saw a bit of blood on the ground that was now masked onto the leaves. She bent down and stared for a few seconds, assuming this was where she hit her head.

"Maybe the killer moved the body?" Stiles suggested as Nara stood back up.

"If he did, I hope he didn't take my inhaler. Those things cost like eighty bucks." Scott stared intently at the ground as Stiles and Nara looked up, slightly jumping, when a man in a leather jacket appeared. Stiles hit Scott in the shoulder, and they all stood there awkwardly, the two boys slightly cowering behind Nara, which in retrospect was kind of funny considering the height difference between her and them. But if you knew them, it made sense. Nara's dad was a weapon and self-defense specialist for the local crime units and had been prominent on teaching her how to protect herself-especially after her mom's death. Her favorite method of self-defense was always taekwondo.

"What are you doing here? Huh? This is private property!" He looked furious and...slightly familiar?? Why could she almost feel his anger and devastation? She shook her head of the intrusive thoughts.

"Uh, sorry, man, we didn't know." Stiles defended, snapping her out of her trance. She gave the man apologetic eyes, but he only stared at her oddly.

"Yeah, we were looking for a couple of things. But, um, forget it." Scott added as the man took a beat and tossed him his inhaler. Just as fast, he was turning around and walking away.

"You didn't happen to see a phone did you?!" She shouted after him, getting no response. Great.

"Come on. I have to get to work." Scott said, almost oddly. Stiles stopped them as they turned to leave.

"Guys, that was Derek Hale. You remember, right? He's only like a few years older than us."

So that's who it was, Nara thought.

"Remember what?" Scott asked.

"His family, they all burned to death in a fire a few-plus years ago." The girl explained, Scott nodding his head as he finally began to remember.

"Well, I wonder what he's doing back?" He asked quietly.

"No idea. Come on." Stiles mumbled, beginning to walk away. She looked back in the direction of the man briefly before following behind them.