Imagine Tom Having Cancer

6 months. Thats how long Tom has survived this horrible disease. Every day he has to walk around with an oxygen tank. Sometimes, on his way up the apartment staircase he would sit down for a few minutes to regain his breath; then continued on the difficult journey. "Darling, would you mind bringing me a glass of water?" Tom inquired of you from upstairs. You, who were downstairs, replied "of course, dear!" You fill up a glass of water and add some ice cubes. You make your way up stairs and see Tom lying down on the bed. The comforter pulled up to his chest and the oxygen tank next to him on the floor. He pushed himself up so he was upright. You handed him the glass and he drank almost half of it before putting it down on the nightstand. Tom weakly smiled at you. "How about we go to the library today and pick up some Shakespeare?" You inquired after a minutes thought of how to cheer him up. Tom gasped, "really? Yes!" He rejoiced like the adorable five year old he is. You pecked his pecked his lips. "I'll meet you downstairs." You say before heading down.

About a few minutes later Tom came down. "Ready?" You inquire. He nodded his head 'yes'. You intertwined your fingers with his and lead him to the car. Tom sat down in the passenger seat, his tank at his feet. "I've been wanting to read Shakespeare so badly lately." Tom stated looking out the window as the beautiful England scenery went by. "And I've been meaning to buy you a new copy of some that have been damaged over our last move." You respond turned the steering wheel. "Yes, that's right. Some books got torn by the moving company." Tom said. "Anyway, we're here!" You rejoice getting out of the car and jogging to his side. You opened the door before he could. "I could have done that" he giggled. "I wanted to this time" you reply giggling as well. You grabbed hold of Tom's hand again and you both strolled to the Shakespeare section of the library. It was in the corner of the store and had other walls around it making it very private. "Look!" Tom said letting go of your hand and pointed to a book. "This version of King Lear is magnificent-look at it!" Tom said in awe of the finely printed book. It had gold edging and red leather all over it and accented with a beautiful design on the top, back, and side. You wrap an arm around him, "I love you" you say and kiss his cheek. "I love you too. Thank you for bringing me here." Tom said turning around to look at you. You smile as he leans down and kisses you gently. "I'll look for some you may enjoy" you state heading to the other wall that was only a few yards away. Tom continued to look through the various Shakespearian plays. He would pull out one, showed it to you, then placed it down so he'd remember to buy it later; then repeated. Tom's hand went up to his ribs. You looked back at him and saw a worried look on his face. "Tom?" You inquire walking to him. He took a sharp intake of breath as he got down on his knees and leaned against the book shelf. "Tom-Tom what's happening?" You inquire, the tone of your voice rising. His chest was heaving, and his breathing was sharp. "Call an ambulance" he said trying his best to hold your hand; but was only able to rest his on top of yours. You whip out your phone and dial "911". Once you talked to the police you placed your phone down. You placed both your hands on his one hand and grasped tightly onto it. "Am I gonna die?" He inquired. "No you're not. You're not going to die" you reply trying to stay calm and to not let tear come out of your eye. The police rush into the library carrying a gurney behind him. "In here!" You shout. They immediately rush to you. They lift him up on top of it then they run out of the building and into the ambulance. You follow behind and almost get in your car before you noticed something. The ambulance lights were off, and it wasn't moving. A doctor came out of it and advanced towards you. "No-no-no!" You shout not wanting to here the news. "I'm so sorry" the doctor apologized. You ask him if you could go in. "Yes" he responded leading you to the ambulance. He opened the back doors and helped you step in as the nurses and the doctor stepped out leaving you alone. Tom's body laid on the gurney, cold and lifeless. You got down on your knees, and held onto his hand. The tubes had been removed from his face. You stroked his soft hair and laid your head on his chest, as the tears flowed down your cheeks.